+ Reply to Thread

Thread: a few dumb Q's about floatant

Default a few dumb Q's about floatant

hey all,
    Bought some Ginks dry fly dressing and i'm not sure how to use it. i've never used floatant before, so i have a few Q's.
    1) How do you apply it, i assume you put a bit n your fingure and gently rub it into the fly
    2) do i apply floatant to the whole fly, or just hackle? i have heard not to apply it to CDC, but know nothing more.
    3) When appling it can i screw up at all with anything?
    4)Approx. how long does it take to dry before i can fish with the flies that i applied it too?

thanks
    WWFF

Inversily...

4...instantly

3...yes ...don't use too much

2...best question...depends ...if you want the fly to ride low in the surface film...just do the wings...if you want it higher ....do the whole fly..

1... Yep, again....not too much...

thanks, i'll give it a try and see if i can figure it out

Default Re: a few dumb Q's about floatant

Quote Originally Posted by Warm Water Fly Fisher
    hey all,
    Bought some Ginks dry fly dressing and i'm not sure how to use it. i've never used floatant before, so i have a few Q's.
    1) How do you apply it, i assume you put a bit n your fingure and gently rub it into the fly
    2) do i apply floatant to the whole fly, or just hackle? i have heard not to apply it to CDC, but know nothing more.
    3) When appling it can i screw up at all with anything?
    4)Approx. how long does it take to dry before i can fish with the flies that i applied it too?

thanks

DO NOT add it to CDC. Use Frogsfanny for CDC
    WWFF

Here is what I would do, assuming a size 16 Adam's Parachute....

1. Squeeze a small BB size dab onto finger tips, rub fingers together to liquify the floatant gel. A little goes a long way.

2. Apply to fly by stroking/rolling fly between fingers. Try to get floatant into the dubbed body, the parachute wing, the hackles and tail.

3. Continue rubbing and stroking as needed until all visible traces are absorbed.

4. Go fish!

Applying too much floatant will gum up fine fibers to the point that they clump together and reduce boyancy. Some materials such as CDC don't respond well to paste floatants, use a dry powder floatant instead. Paste floatants can also be used on tippets and leaders to make them float.

You can adjust how a fly floats by using floatant on individual parts of the fly. For example, turn a nymph into an emerger by using a small dab of floatant on the thorax only, turn any dry fly into a cripple pattern by using the floatant only on the right side, the bug will then float off center, mimicking a crippled mayfly.

You can apply paste floatants to an already wet or drowned fly, but the stuff works best best when applied to a fresh clean dry one.

Keep in mind, however, adding floatant to you leader/tippet will now make it more visible (specially if using Flourocarbon).
    I love the powder "Frogs Fanny". It will also help dry out a slimed fly.
    Try putting it on an emerger and it looks like a little bubble, like maybe an air bubble on a fresh emerger. Works killer.

nighthawk Guest

Follow all of the advice given. I like to think of the old Brill Cream commercial, "A little dab will do ya".

I'm sure glad F.G. didn't have a typo in there. Like: I love TO powder "Frogs Fanny". Sorry, Fly Goddess, but you know I just could not resist that one. Just funnin ya.

Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk
    Follow all of the advice given. I like to think of the old Brill Cream commercial, "A little dab will do ya".

I'm sure glad F.G. didn't have a typo in there. Like: I love TO powder "Frogs Fanny". Sorry, Fly Goddess, but you know I just could not resist that one. Just funnin ya.
    But....I DO

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess

But....I DO
    And what does Frog think about that?

Kirk

Quote Originally Posted by crazy4oldcars
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess

But....I DO
    And what does Frog think about that?

Kirk

+ Reply to Thread