+ Reply to Thread

Thread: carp flies

Default carp flies

looking for some easy to tie patterns for carp. maybe flies that look like corn, bread balls, pellets etc

any help is appreciated
    WWFF

Don't see any pattern recipes for these but they have names you might be able to find recipes for them. From the WWFF site.

http://warmwaterflyfisher.com/WarmWater ... p_Swap.htm
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Glo bugs tied in white resemble bread balls. As for a fly that looks like a single kernel of corn, yellow chanile tied on a Mustad 3366 #8 hook will do the trick. On the Carpanglers' Group website (www.carpanglersgroup.com) there is an article by Lowell King on tying his version of a bread fly. Uses the egg yarn. Very easy to tie and quite productive. Hope this helps some!

Ray

WWFF here is one I came up with that works for me. John

CDC Corn Fly For Carp
    Hook: Mustad 94840 #10-#14
    Thread: UTC 70 Yellow
    Body: Yellow Fine Chenille
    Tail: Light Dun CDC Puff
    Head: Cover with SH Hard as Nails
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

i'm looking for any easy carp patterns, not just the ones i have listed.

thanks to the fellers that replied so far
    WWFF

A fly that has worked well for me for carp is an easy tie. Size 10 regular hook, sparse grouse or partridge tail, and a dubbed red squirrel body with guard hairs and underful mixed. That's it.

WWFF,
    When I fish here in the Susquahanna All I use are hellgrammite paterns and normal nymphs tied a little bigger like on a 8 or 6. My biggest so far is 25lb last april caught on a hellgramite. I just found another pattern I'm going to try this year. I think it is called a thisle fly?
    Hoo: dry fly 6 - 10
    Thread: brown 6/0
    Wing: white Marabou
    That's it, it's sapose to immitate that white fluff blowing off the trees in the spring and early summer, wich the carp here love to suck up around the shore lines. Good luck, Dave

I think most of the things that we fish for carp with are scent oriented materials. You aren't going to get much scent out of a fly, but it is something that you may want to experiment with. I seems to me that I read a posting in here one time and someone was trying tunafish can oil and something else. How about WD-40, the old walleye fisherman standby? As far as flys, I am thinking of trying stone flies, hellgramites, dragonfly nymphs and such. I'm thinking big-nymph in heavy current. Maybe even weight line and/or leader. Going to make time this summer to go and try some carp flyfishing. The Mississippi is full of them right in the headwaters of the dam. Good luck with this and keep me posted as to how you are doing.

+ Reply to Thread