+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropper Flies

Default Dropper Flies

ok. i know of this tactic where you use a high floatant fly (foam terrestrial) and then have a dropper such as a nypmh underneath. i really wanna try this, but i dont kno how. could someone please tell me how to make this rig???

Normand Guest

photos were posted awhile ago but heres one way

ok thanks. thats how i thought to do it, but it just didnt seem secure enough. o well ill give it a shot....with an unvaluable nymph as the dropper incase it breaks off

That's pretty much how I rig a dropper behind either a popper, slider, Chernobyl Ant. The only difference is I may use a dropper as long as 24-30 inches depending on the water depth and keep the it the same size as the tippet. A good invaluable nymph to fish for panfish is a Green Weenie. I use size 8 to 12 in the local creek.

dsaaverda,
    I would put full confidence in this rig. I've used it for years and brought in my fair share of large fish on both the first and second fly. I'd also add that I often use this tactic with 2 streamers as well. For example, if I'm not sure what color the fishies may be keyeing in on, I'll use two flies of completely opposite colors, and switch flies in and out until I narrow it down to one or two colors. The same applies for hook size as well. The only drawbacks I have experienced with this set-up is the wind (for obvious casting reasons) and I have had the fly not in the fishes, mouth get snagged and break em off. On the plus side, (I suppose its on the plus side) I'll admit that more than once, I've missed the dry fly-strike and still landed the fish. (Just follow the natural thought process ) I fish with this set up at least 90% of the time. You can cover a lot of feeding columnns with it!
    Leave No Trace

Another rig is to use 5 turn surgeon's knots to tie in about a foot of leader material. You will end up with two 4-5 inch tags that ly parallel to the leader, one pointing towards the flyline and one lying toward the terminal fly. Snip the tag pointing toward the flyline and tie your droppers to the tag pointing to your main fly.

In this system you main leader is never cut and the droppers lay along side the leader on 2-3 tags, makes casting easier, plus the shorter your dropper leads the less likely the system will foul. Plus there are no obstructions on any of the hooks to prevent doubles.

If you are fishing a popper and dropper nymphs, by putting the Popper as your end or terminal fly it will keep your dropper nymphs suspending. Picture them as a U. Once your release pressure the nymphs will slowly sink creating a U in your leader. Put tension back into the setup, with a strip and the flies will rise up as the U straightens, this can be a killer technique, basicall it is like vertically jigging your nymphs.

By putting the popper as the first dropper line the rest of the flies will hang down behing it, that is how you can fish them deeper without creating that U effect.

I will routinely fish 3-5 flies using this technique, where legal I might add. Open your loops a bit and slow dwn your stroke and you will have no problems casting multiple flies.

Sorry no picture but picture it as

..................dropper......dropper......droppe r
    flyline ______/_________/_________/________termial fly
    Your hooks sharp????

ok thanks guys that helped a bunch!!!!

now how about a link to a greenie weenie

Another method is to leave an extra 6" or so on the tag end of the mid section of your home built leader when you tie the tippit in. Tie the dropper into that section and then the main fly/popper onto the tippit as normal. I use this allot in the salt.

Normand Guest

another

Normand Guest

another

+ Reply to Thread