+ Reply to Thread

Thread: First Time on Warm Water

Default First Time on Warm Water

Last night I had my very first warm water fly fishing experience. Being someone who grew up in the Rockies and swore he'd never fly fish for anything but trout; this was a big deal.
    I went with my father in law to a pond that just thawed two days ago about 3 miles from my house. It was his first time with a fly rod, my first time on warm water. I decided a smallish, size 12 olive bugger would bring something to hand. He picked out a fly that "the guy at the fly shop said was great." Actually, it looked like a well tied Clouser Minnow/Matuka Muddler hybrid in olive and black. Very attractive fly.
    Anyway, on my 3rd cast I hook into 10 inch crappie and quickly release him. 2 casts later I land and release another crappie of the same size. My father in law is casting for all he is worth b/c he doesn't want to get out-fished by his son in law, hahaha. I move closer to him, and...pull in another-this time on a white zonker. Finally, he breaks down and asks for a little advice. I tell him to strip super slowly, with loonngg strips. The next cast he lands a 2-3lb largemouth!!
    Moral of the story...I will admit that after just 3 crappie I am certainly happy with warm water fishing. I'll never give up my stream-lined, silver, cold water friends. I've just added to the posibilities of always catching fish!!
    Leave No Trace

Wild One,

I can certainly relate to what you are saying. I was a die hard tournament Bass fisherman for 20 + years. Swore I would never do any other type of fishing. Then somebody turned on the lights for me. I realized how much I was missing out on. I've done a lot of offshore, inshore, pan fish, walleye, and have moved on to fly fishing. I am certainly enjoying fishing and everything related a lot more.

Congrats,
    Steve

I remember back around '82-'83, telling a guy in a fly shop,
    "You're wasting your time if your not fishing for trout"
    Live and learn
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Warm water flyfishing can be as demanding as trout fishing. I've fished for bluegill in a stream where I had to throw size 18 midges with a good drift to get a hit. But most of the time you can catch fish a lot easier. Welcome to warm water you'll have a blast.

Welcome to the warmwater area.

Rick

Welcome to the illness........
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I have looked at all my fly rods and none of them have stamped on them that they are for trout only! I, too, was a tournament bass fisherman for 30+ years and just got burnt out on the crowded lakes and the joy of fishing went away. After selling everything (bass boat, etc.) a friend turned me on to fly fishing about 12 years ago and I wish I had picked up a fly rod 30 years ago. I have missed out on a lot of fun, but, I am trying to make up for it!

I use fly rods for all my fishing no matter what species I am going after. I tie my own flies for trout, bluegill, bass, stripers, etc.

Don't let anyone tell you a fly rod is for trout only.

Welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing.

PS - You should be ashamed of yourself for catching crappie and then moving closer to your father-in-law so you could "rub it in"!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Default There's coldwater, too.

Wild One - Welcome to the flatlands, Buckeye country, & warmwater fishing. If you liked Crappie, wait until you hook a Largemouth, or better yet a Smallmouth. Also, Carp really are freshwater Bonefish. I had one make an 80 yard run. BUT, there is coldwater fishing, too. The tributeries of Lake Erie are great Steelhead water. There are 3 Trout streams within an hour of Columbus, the Mad being the best of the 3. Check out Mad River Outfitters here in C-bus, great guys and a great shop. If you can't stop by try their site -
    http://www.madriveroutfitters.com/

The fishing report section covers the Mad (east), the Clearfork (north), & the Erie trib's. Let us know what area you are near & the guys can help you out with good spots to try.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

+ Reply to Thread