+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Biggest Bream?

Default Your Biggest Bream?

Just wondering what success others have had on Bream with Fly Rod?
    I managed about 8 today here in AL. The water is still very cool but temps are hitting mid 70's this week. I caught these on a BH Pheasant tail with rubber legs in size 16. Rigged 6 feet below indicator on 5x flouro, allowing the wind ripples to cause the fly to twitch. Water was clear in the shallows and teal green in the deeper sections of the river. The fight was impressive. I pictured the fish with a quarter and one with a penny next to my Batenkill reel just to show the sheer size. I literally could not hold them in my hand like normal bream over the dorsal around the belly. Had to cradle or lip. What a blast! Can't wait to do it again.
    And no these photos were not doctored.

Penny

Quarter

Dear Waders,

Those big boys qualify as "ti**ie" bream. The kind that are so big you have to hold them up against your "ti**ie" to get the hook out.

I remember when I was back in the Air Force and myself and my buddy Gramps went fishing on Holly Lake outside of DeFuniak Springs, Florida. We caught a mess of crappies on minnows and Gramps sort of dozed off in the boat.

I picked up a fly rod and started tossing a "Sneaky Pete" popper in amongst the stumps. I hooked a colossal bluegill and just as I was swinging it into the boat ol' Gramps woke up and rocked the boat and hit my line and knocked that big boy off. That bluegill was 15" long if he was an inch. I barely had half of his body out of the water when Gramps woke up and released him.

I remember a lake just south of Dothan, Alabama that was crystal clear with a white sand bottom. We stopped and looked at that lake one time and I swore I saw hubcaps swimming around in it that is how big the bluegills were. They were spooky as any trout too. I forget the name of the lake but for a long time the world's record bluegill came from that lake.

I apologize for calling "bream" by the name of "bluegill." I'm a Yankee and I just can't help it.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Waders,
    That might be a record fish on a flyrod!
    You must have a long growing season for your fish.
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Beautiful fish! For some reason, they haven't started hitting yet in my neck of the woods but I think another week or so of warm weather and they'll start. I live on a 50 acre lake that has lots of big bream. My personal best was a nice 14 inch bream last spring caught on a size 10 black leech pattern. I can't wait to get back out in my kayak with my four wt rod.

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Smith

Avalon,you may have been close to Merritt's mill pond in Marianna,FL.It is a shallow,spring fed,200 acre lake that has really big shellcrackers.The daily limit is 10 with a 10 inch minimum.

I've never fished it but it is pretty famous in the Southeast.Maybe I'll get there one day but bream fishing doesn't get the hype of bass or trout fishing.

best,bd

love bluegill on the fly rod. absolutely awesome fish!!! makes my biggest look like small fry.

Beautiful specimen there. Usually when they get that big, they start to get a bit ugly. Not so with that one.

About 3 miles from my house, there is a county park with a spring fed lake built in 1896. The springs flow even when we have very dry weather, and the water comes out of the ground at 68 degrees year round. The lake has some of the largest bluegill I have ever caught. Last year, I caught three over 11 inches!! The growing season has a lot to do with sizes like this and in the pictures. When they get this big, they are a load on a 4 wt rod!

My biggest on the fly rod are 2 of 'em at 11".....1 on the 'boo & 1 on the 3 weight. One taken on a black & red epoxy ant, & 1 on a yellow w/grizzly hackle woolly worm. I continue to search for that elusive 12 incher...a real trophy here in Ohio. When I get it, it will be photographed & released.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Quote Originally Posted by ohiotuber
    My biggest on the fly rod are 2 of 'em at 11".....1 on the 'boo & 1 on the 3 weight. One taken on a black & red epoxy ant, & 1 on a yellow w/grizzly hackle woolly worm. I continue to search for that elusive 12 incher...a real trophy here in Ohio. When I get it, it will be photographed & released.
    Mike
    I've watched you eat, and it will be a miracle if that 12" gill goes anywhere other than your flying pan.

Joe

My 1wt blank ships on Friday from Dan Craft. Now THAT will be a lot of fun with the "bream."
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread