My "double" cousin and I had a brief email conversation about putting over rated lines on rods and I sent this story in response. Get's me tickled everytime I think about the guy putting on that clinic back in the early 80's at our SE Conclave.

...I understand your delimma on the rod. I once had a Lews that I changed the line on and afterward thought I was a casting pro!
It's an old Lew's fly rod that has the Fugi ceramic guides from the big stripping guide all the way down to the tip top. Years ago at one of the casting clinics at a southern conclave I had it loaded with 7wt long belly line that was slightly a cross between a shooting taper and a weight forward line ( kind of like the Lee wulff Triangle Taper). The guy putting on the casting clinic asked me (I was 13 at the time) if I knew how to cast. I think my reply was well let's see....

He looked at my rod and said what ya got there? I told him a Lews "schwacker"! With a big grin on my face. He said a what???? Again I said, " a Lews Schwacker!" He said I don't think I have ever seen a fly rod with ceramic guides on it. Why do you call it a "Schwacker"? I told him that was the sound it makes when I cast it. Again he said..."What?"

Mumbling to myself I thought man this guy doesn't know squat. I stripped off about all the line on the reel. Almost 80 feet at the time with 4 or 5 feet of backing on the ground, took two or three false casts of about 20 feet and then let it rip. When it came up off the ground and slapped the rod blank it went "Schwwwwwaaaaack!" and 80' feet of line was laying across the field. I turned and said... See? It's a Schwacker!

He said Son of a Bi#$%....Let me see that thing! Needless to say I still have the Schwacker but rarely ever use it. Had my fingers slapped one too many times!
~~~waders~~~