+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help?? Looking for Pike Rod / Reel Advice

Default Help?? Looking for Pike Rod / Reel Advice

I live where there are no local fly shops, and I need some advice. I am looking to try for pike on the fly when I go to Canada in late May. I want to get a new 8 or 9 wt Rod and matching reel. I'm close to Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops so I do have a good selection, just not the best advice. Any suggestions on a set up Preferrably less than $450 as I would prefer to keep the money in my lighter rods. They have a cold cup combo at BP for 365, but I am not familiar with that brand. Any help or suggestions are welcome. Thanks! Jeff K, Omaha, NE.

I use a SA 9 ft 8wt with a SA large arbour reel this combo is really great it costs about $175 w/o fly line. For line I use orvis silver label floating line and for my sinking line I use northern productions fly line.

Dear Jeff,

Where are you going in Canada and how large will the Pike run?

I ask that because I seriously investigated a trophy Pike trip to a lodge in northern Saskatchewan and in conversations with the lodge owner he recommended that I leave the 8 weight at home and come with a 9 or a 10 weight as he felt it is hard to over-gun for 45 inch plus Pike. They provided 10 weight rigs for guests to use if they didn't already own a heavy rod.

I'll add that this lodge is strictly catch and release for Pike and he wanted people to be able to quickly beat fish and get them to the boat to be released. 8 to 10 pounders are one thing, and 25 pound plus fish are another thing entirely.

From a practical standpoint an 8 weight may be a better choice for you if it is something that you will also use for other fish when you aren't in search of Pike.

I guess I didn't really answer your question did I?

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

I 've fished Pike in Saskatchewan/NWT and landed several over 20 lbs with a nine wt rod. So did my fishing buddy. As I recall the largest was 26 lbs. I used a floating line for a hour or so before changing to a sink tip line...Just a ten foot fast sinking sink tip which doesn't sink all that fast actually. We caught countless pike in a week. We were there the third week in June, just after ice out. Any sooner and you could have ice on the lake when you show up. Pike don't run much, even big ones so any good reel with 100 yds of backing should do. Make sure the 9 wt has a strong butt section for fighting big fish. Look at the TFO 4 piece for travel. Profesional series.. You have to think about wind and big flies so lighter than a 9wt could be trouble. The lodge may have gear too which will save you some bucks..

Remember this point...vitually every big fish that we caught was while using the sink tip line...it made a big difference so bring both floating and a sink tip....just a normal everyday fast sink tip not a 350 grain or anything like that.

Catching pike on the fly was a blast. In Saskatchewan and NWT expect to catch more than you can count in a week. It's almost impossible not too.

Good Luck

Going to Lake Tetu, part of the English River system. Not sure about the size of the fish there. This is the first trip for me. I was planning to get a 9wt, as I want to use it for Carp fishing around where I live. Those range from 5 - 45 lbs locally so I figured the 9wt would be ok, even though the carp flies are way smaller than my Pike streamers. New to both type of fly fishing so it will be a learning experience for sure.

Jeff

It is a good thing you posted your question here instead of over on the Warm Water Board. If you had I am sure you would have been told all you need is a 3wt.

I use an 8wt, but that is the biggest rod I own and it suits me. The rod I use is a Diamondback All American. I don't think you could go too wrong with a TFO. I know Cabelas sells them. Haven't made it over your way to their new store yet, but I would think someone in the fly shop should be able to help you.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Default Pike rod

Jeff,

I went thru this decision last July, planning for a Pike/Musky trip to Wisconsin. Unforunately the fish didnt play along, so I only got to test what I bought on a few fish. That being said, I chose a 9wt and here is why;

-The flies are huge and get water logged, making them even heavier
    -For Musky, you have to cover ALOT of water, and that means alot of distance casting...again with large flies
    -I space my rods, 9,7,5, and 3 weight rods....so an 8 weight didnt make sense, and a 7 would be asking too much

I think that last point was what tipped the scales, Im sure you will hear opinions to the contrary, but if you plan on filling in the voids in the futre, space your rod weights accordingly unless money isnt a factor.

I settled on an Orvis T-3 with Battenkill Large Arbor reel. Love them both, and while that sounds expensive, I got them both new on Ebay for a total of $475...only a fraction over your limit.

Hope this helps!

Jeff,

You might want to talk to the folks at Backwoods, I believe that they're into the flyfishing business now (when I lived there it was only camping and climbing). There was (several years ago) a fly shop someplace out in northwest Omaha, the name fails me at the moment. They seemed to know what they were talking about and had a decent selection. (Don't know if they're still in business).

Kevin

Jeff, the shop in NW Omaha closed a couple of years ago, so don't waste your time looking for it. Backwoods, as you probably know, moved to north 78th St.

If you haven't already, go out to the new Cabela's and talk to Larry, the fly shop manager. In my experience, he's good people and not out to always sell the most expensive choice (although I'm sure he'd be happy to if you insisted).

I fished the English River system of western Ontario maybe 20 years ago. We didn't target pike but caught several in the 10-20 lb. range while fishing for walleye.

Good luck.

I have some experience in pike/muskie on the fly and offer the following:

An 8 wt and up is suitable for pike fishing, a 9 wt is better. Your steelhead rig should work well.

Better take a sink tip or sinking line with you. Use it!

Use a shock tippet, add a small swivel to the steel leader section. Pike are not leader shy.

Minnow imitations are king when fishing pike, I love to use perch imitations. Tie them barb up and a weed guard tied on them is recommended.

Troll with your fly rod if the boat is trolling.

Don't mix alcohol and fly casting. You will hook someone on the boat.

Make sure you take bug juice with you.

Take lots of photos!!!
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

+ Reply to Thread