+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me outfit a 3 wt. Yeehaw!

Default Help me outfit a 3 wt. Yeehaw!

First post, been reading for a short while. Need some advice. I want to get a 3 wt. for small trout streams and small texas rivers like the llano and the frio. Here are my thoughts on rods.

Sage Launch
    Cabela's LST

Reels:

Orvis Battenkill BBS
    Cabela's LSR
    Teton Tioga
    Ross Cimarron (little to pricey)

I have also heard about the TFO rods, but I heard from some the fit and finish wasn't great. My thought on the CAbela's rod is that maybe it is a higher quality blank since it is not a high dollar brand. My buddies keep telling me to order a Dan Craft blank and make a rod, but I think I would be terrible at that.

I know the Cabela's reel gets bad reviews from some, but seeing how it is on a 3 wt rod, I'm not sure I'd need a lot of drag. Also, if I get the LST/LSR combo, you get free line and like $100 off that reel. That's tempting.

I also need waders and boots. I only use them maybe 3x per year so I think I'll go with the Cabela's premium dry plus cabelas light weight wading boots. I thought about the other brands but I think I'll be okay with the affordable Cabela's brand.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks
    Cameron

I don't know what length you're looking for but the Cabela's Three Forks 3 wt is 7 1/2' 3 pc. They have a combo on sale right now for $80.
    I can tell you the rod is a true bargain. The best buy in flyfishing IMO. Casts like a rod casting many times more than it does.

I have the Cabelas LSR reel on my 3wt and really really like it. I would highly recommend it.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Those prestige plus reels are a great bargain. I may think about those. I like the idea that the combos come with fly line. I have a medalist on my 6 wt and like it. Anyone have issues with the Prestige plus?

The TFO rods have a lifetime guarantee. Pretty tough to beat and definitely not available from Cabelas. I have a TFO and have no issues with the finish. I do know that if I did have an issue, finish or otherwise, that I can get it fixed no questions asked.

As for reels, I have a preference for the tetons. Here is the thing with a reel for a 3wt though...it just holds your line (like you mentioned). Given a choice, I would spend less on a reel and more on a rod for a 3wt. If you do consider a Cabelas combo, I would also account for new line. The stuff that came with the cabelas combo a few years back was terrible. This may have changed though...

Waders. I think your spot on. If you are only getting out a few times a year its just not worth the cash.

Best
    GBURG

I had a Sage Launch 5wt and really liked it. Replaced it with an FLI but only because of a defect in that particular Launch (the glue was coming lose adn it would have taken them 6-10 weeks to replace). I would go for the Sage; great rods and you simply cannot beat the lifetime unlimited warranty (it even covers little kids stepping on your fly rod when you are too daft to know not to leave it laying on the ground in a path).

I also have the Orvis Battenkill BBS. So far it has performed without a hitch.

I bought my daughter a Cortland 3 wt and it is a dandy little rod as well. I think I paid about $110 for it and have never regretted the purchase.

Are you going to get over to Beaver's Bend in the Great State of Oklahoma? You should give it a shot when you get set up.

Westtexas,

Cabela's rods, reels and lines are decent values that wil give you years of service, maybe lifetimes at only few uses per year.

As far as that whole 'gurantee' things goes, Cabela's unconditionaly guarantees ALL of their merchandise, if you are not satisfied with it.

The major reason that Sage charges $600 for a rod is that 'no fault, regardless of how stupid you were, we'll always replace it' guarantee. I also believe they DO charge for the 'service' when you return a rod.

Great to have if you fish a lot or are hard on rods. Not so great if you take care of your tackle or only fish infrequently.

God Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Thanks for all the great replies. I am really wanting a 4 piece and something shorter than 9'. TFO doesn't offer what I am after. I guess that St. Croix Avid gets good reviews too. I think I may save some money on the reel and go with a medalist or a prestige plus.

Does anybody know the action difference between the Cabela's LST rod and the Sage Launch?

That would be helpful.

Also, the cabela's outfits come with SA MAstery Line. Is that junk or is that a decent line?

Thanks
    C

"Does anybody know the action difference between the Cabela's LST rod and the Sage Launch? "

You might want to check this thread out...and note the post by PaGuy....

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/view ... hp?t=16705

ducksterman,

Which thread? I think you meant to put a link in your post, but forgot. I'd love to see the thread you're mentioning.

C

+ Reply to Thread