+ Reply to Thread

Thread: V-Worm for Bass

Default V-Worm for Bass

I'm tying up some V-worms to try in the shallows for bass. The pattern calls for a tuft of fluoresent marabuo. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach it to the chanile?

Greg

Default V-worm

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hunsicker
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to attach it to the chanile?
    Try putting a small needle in your tying vise. Tie some thread on the needle, lay the chenille tail end over the needle and tie it down, then take the marabou and tie the tail on. Whip finish and then slide the needle out of the tail. That's what I would do. Best of luck.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Wow i havn't seen one of those for a while! That sparks some new ideas for tying! Ummmm....what I would do is probably what dixieangler said. When i tie dragon flies i swing the thread around the tail and then tie it off so maybe that will work for this. The needle is probably your best bet!

Good luck!!!
    BC

I was thinking about the needle myself.
    Thanks
    Greg

Rather than marabou tail, consider using bright colored closed-cell foam in yellow, red, chartruese or white. Cut the foam in a elongated diamond shape with a tag on one end to attach to the chenille. Still use the needle to hold the chenille to attach the foam. The foam is more durable than marabou and will provide action by floating up off the bottom whenever you stop the retrieve. This has worked well for me. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

James

Thanks for the foam idea, I kind of like that too. I think I could possibly thread the chanile into the foam tail and glue it in place. I'm finding the Marabuo difficult to attach and keep it there.

Greg

Greg,

You may want to do both.

The foam will change how the fly works in the water by adding bouyancy at he tail. This can be good or not so good, depending on how you work the fly.

The marabou tail will not add bouyancy, but will add 'action' as it pulses and flares each time you move then stop the fly.

So, perhaps if you are 'hopping' the fly along the bottom with short pulls and long pauses, the foam tail will wave seductively in the water. If, instead, you are using a faster or more steady retrieve, then the marabou pulsing and flaring as you move the fly may be more productive.

By the way, the needle technique is how you put on the marabou. Also add a small drop of CA glue, because when you pull the needle, it puts some slack in the wraps....without it, the marabou will come out on the back/false casts.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread