+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sizing Guides

Default Sizing Guides

I want to build a 10ft - 8wt rod.

What are the implications/reasons for using "typical" sized guides versus guides that are over-sized compared to what would normally be used.

What would be the recommended size of guides for the rod I am contemplating building.

Can anyone refer me to a reference on this subject.

Thank you.

From my own experience I would have to ask why would you want to use oversized guides? A standard sizing has been produced as a guide and starting point to work from. It is only a guide, but when altering from it one must consider simple things like the added weight to the rod by using oversized guides. IMO, I personally would be concerned with weight, overall rod performance and fatigue levels caused by this added weight over the course of a day's fishing. The only place where I might consider an oversized guide would be the stripping guide(s).
    Standard guide sizes (for snake guides) for your rod would be: a large loop tip top, size 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 5, 16 + 20.
    Standard spacing (from the tip of the tip top)would be: 4", 9", 15", 22", 30", 39", 48", 57 1/2", 67 3/8", 78 3/8" + 89 3/4". These sizes and figures are different if single foot guides are being used.
    Please keep in mind that these are standard measurements and a starting point to be used as a guide. I would recommend temporarily placing the guides on your rod based on these figures and do a static deflection test. Place the reel onto your rod, run the line thru the guides, attach the leader to a book placed on the floor, then deflect the rod as if you were fighting a fish. This test gives you a good indication of proper guide placement. The line should never touch the rod blank nor should the spacing between guides be too far apart to add stress to the line. This test will allow you to see if adjustments need to be made in the guide placements and in some cases will show you where an additional guide may be required. This is a standard proceedure that most of us rod builders perform when building a custom rod.
    Flex Coat Company puts out an inexpensive paperback book called "Start to Finish Fly Rod Building" which is full of information. I would certainly recommend it as part of your reference library and to anyone interested in rod building.
    I certainly hope this answers your questions and is helpful to you. If I can be of more help to you, please feel free to email me.
    Good luck with your rod!

David
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

I agree with most everything David said. Personally, I like single foot guides, but it really boils down to a matter of taste. I also tend to step down the guides slower. I would probably be more like 3, 3, 3, 3, 4, 4, 4, 5, 5, 12, 16. I'm also not fond of size 20 striping guides. Check out the components of guide sets sold by Mudhole, dancraft, Hook & Hackle, etc. and see how the size the guides for particular weight rods.

Check several guide spacing charts. They are mostly similar to David's, but may vary slightly. I've tried static deflection tests after I place the guides, but rarely end up moving any.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Oversized guides are used to maximixe line delivery. I've been using Snowbee rods (weights 4 through 9)this past year which all have oversized guides. These rods have a reputation for the ability to shoot a lot of line and they live up to it. Sage Xi2 Series use oversized guides and Fly Logic is another company that uses them, there are more. Oversized guides may make a big difference in the rod depending on the blank design. I would ask the manufacturer of your blank if they have any information or opinion on how that blank performs with oversized guides.

+ Reply to Thread