+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blues Rig

Default Blues Rig

I need some help from the salt water folks. I have have the opportunity to chase blues on the LI Sound this August. Since I'm mostly a trouter I'm lacking gear. Can you guys recommend a rig, from terminal tackle to rod? What flies, wt & length leader, wt of line, length of casts, and length of rod? I don't need a specific rod recommendation, just generally what performance do you look for.

Thanks,
    Daniel.

Most use a nine foot, nine weight. Floating line,six feet or so of 20 pound test leader and four or so inches of wire.
    As for flies, I use my rejects,they get torn up pretty fast, but blues love poppers, 2/0 is about right.
    Around the end of summer LI Sound will be loaded with peanut bunker so a wide bodied fly might help.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Same rod, different line and tactics. We use Intermediate lines, 20 lb. mono with a bite tippet. Some folks use Tyger wire for the bite tippet. Just about any fishy fly: clouser, deceiver, jiggy (they love jiggies) etc. in white & tan, white & olive, pink, purple, black. We use 2/0 hooks.

I they're little chompers then we use a 7 wt instead of 9. They are a blast on a fly rod!

Oh yea,
    None of that slow strip action for blues. You can't move that fly too fast.They ENJOY the chase.
    The two handed retrive works best.
    If not on a boat you will need a striping basket also.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread