Quote Originally Posted by Eight Thumbs
Jeff,

You're describing an early season behavior that I run into all the time with brim and other sunfish. The fish are not yet on a heavy feed and instead roll their body over the fly to sink it. They don't take the fly in their mouth so you can't successfully set the hook. Swatting the fly with their tail is another early season non-feeding trick. When the fish are in this mood you can go the whole afternoon without a good hook up. Strangely enough, the fish don't seem to get hooked in the body either. If you find the solution, be sure to share it with the rest of us. 8T
ah. well. there it is. ha

the only thing is though on one pond in particular since winter broke ive slammed all species with divers. Until today, that is. Seems strange that the fish fed more aggressively while the water was still somewhat cold...now that its warmed they seem to have altered behavior. There has been a full moon in the past week though..plus the warm water...I'm wondering if since the water warmed the fish are gorging at night, plus the effect full moons have on night feeding..HMM

oh, and on trimming the bottom. I do make a habit out of doing it. during times of extreme frustration I may also be observed bending the hook shank down to widen the gap further O_O. I do appreciate the tying advice though.