+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bonecrusher fly

Default Bonecrusher fly

Anyone have a recipe for a Bone Crusher fly? It is a fly used for bonefish. I saw a show with Larry Dahlberg on, anyway that was the fly he was using, he said it outfishes crazy charlies/gotchas 5 to 1. That has my attention. There isn't much info on the web on it. I think it has some kind of shhep hair for wing and sili legs also.

I thought that was the name of a ski run

Normand Guest

youre gonna have to figure it out. no recipe

http://www.riverbum.com/Saltwater-Flies ... e-Crusher/

Hard to tell from the pic in Normand's link--- could be sheep hair? Synthetic yarn (Aunt Lydias or egg fly)? Looks like it has a pearl mylar tinsel body?

It looks like it would fish very similar to a Merkin in that it's a crab pattern with little splash down.

Personally I'd go with a Merkin in size 2 and/or 4 aka Del Brown's Bonefish fly (or Del Brown Permit fly but in the smaller hook size). It's an easy tie, and a very effective bone pattern in the Keys and elsewhere. Some for light bottoms (cream or tan), and some for dark bottoms (dark brown/tan or dark brown/olive).

peregrines

Hey Guys - I noticed some traffic at RiverBum coming from here and came to check it out! I'm more on the technical end of things and I'm not much of a fly tyer, but I went ahead and contacted our supplier about the Bone Crusher materials. He said the following:

Bone Crusher:
    Body = Ice wing fibers
    Wing = Sculpin wool nat, white.

I hope that helps. If you want any other details just let me know!

Matt

+ Reply to Thread