+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How far a rod will cast

Default How far a rod will cast

OK, another almost unanswerable question

Basic question would be...Are there specific distances a given rod weight should be expected to cast?

Variables...let's say 9'...average castor [or would intermediate be a better term]...

I guess another way to put it would be...How much farther can the same castor cast a 7wt vs say a 4wt?

Or will a rod one size larger cast say 10' farther?

Googling didn't help much but Al Campbell sort of alluded to the issue in this...

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/alcampb ... right.html

Depends on the caster. For me, No it doesn't matter what rod weight. Length of rod and flex, yes that makes a difference.

Duckster,

Note this is all my opinion but there are differences inherent in how a rod will cast. I enjoy building my rods specific to fishing conditions. I find blank action, guide type, guide spacing, guide size, handle size, handle shape all play into how a rod will cast and fish. I use these factors to build maximum performance into my rods for specific fishing conditions.

With that said - what I said applies to about 5% of the true picture. The other 95% of the true picture concerns three factors - Practice, Practice and more Practice.

I'll never forget how well those old glass rods improved in performance just sitting in the closet while I spent five years in tournament casting with higher quality rods.
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

No doubt about it, my 9' 9wt (fast action), will cast the farthest of my fly rods. Next it would be a toss up between my 8' 8wt, the mid-action 8 1/2' 7wt and the fast action 9' 6wt. Even the mid-action 9' 5wt will do a respectable distance, especially compared to the mid-action 8' 5wt. So what an I saying ... the higher the rod weight, plus the stiffer the action, the farther it will cast. That's within the realm of my 8' and 9' rods ... I don't cast a longer rod that well (done tried it).

Dale

Everything being equal. I can cast a fast action rod about 20 yds further than a slow rod.

That could be partly that I don't try to cast a slow rod very far. It just doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Everything being equal. I can cast a fast action rod about 20 yds further than a slow rod.

That could be partly that I don't try to cast a slow rod very far. It just doesn't feel like the right thing to do.

I agree Gramps and so do distance caster
    Stiff rods at least 9' from there I don't feel that line or rod weight will make a difference.

Duck,
    I have found that to get the very most distance and accuracey from any of my rods, is to have someone else toss'em!
    .....lee s.

this is a provocative question. I cast the farthest with my Sage SLT one weight and my Scott SAS 6 weight. SInce distance is not really a priority to catch fish I don't thing about it much, but I like your question.

Quote Originally Posted by lee s
    Duck,
    I have found that to get the very most distance and accuracey from any of my rods, is to have someone else toss'em!
    .....lee s.
    Going to bed pretty soon laughing

One thing no one has mentioned is the line being cast. I have been told that a rod generally is rated to handle 30 feet of the line it is rated for. So do a little math and reasoning.

I can cast my 3 wt with slow action with a 2 wt WFF line as far as I can my 9wt med action with a 9wt WFF line. I don't own an 8wt line, but I bet I could toss that line farther on the 9 wt rod than the 9 wt line.

The faster action of a rod means it can handle more weight from the line during long casting without overloading. Generally that means you will beable to cast farther with a faster action rod than a slower action one, given all other variable are the same.

Now the higher weight of a rod will generally give you more strength, therefore more fishfighting capabilities. But not casting capabilities.

My questions to you are, How far do you need to cast to cover 90% of your fishing circumstances? Do you have enough room behind and around you to wave a stick and have a back cast? How far off the water do you fish (ie deep wading, float tubing, bank fishing, boat fishing)? What is the size and fight of the fish you will be fishing for?

The first question will give you you relative line weight. Within 40' use a line the weight of the rod. Over that use a line made for distance or use a size or two smaller than recomended.

The second and third will give you your general rod length. If you are low, use a longer rod. If you don't have much room, use a shorter rod. No room to backcast but pleanty around and above you use a longer rod to roll and punch cast. Try and find the happy medium there.

The Fourth will give you the weight rod. Small fish low weight. Increase accordingly. Remember, if you are catch and release fishing, land the fish as quickly as possible. Otherwise the fish will likely die anyway. That goes for tippet as well. Most fish are not leader shy, EVEN large trout and salmon. If you can hook fish but not land them, I'd rather be tying flies.

But for your direct questions, I would answer:
    1.NO
    2.All variables the same, Id say not much
    3.Not likely

+ Reply to Thread