+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fishing in Lookout, California

Default Fishing in Lookout, California

I plan to be in the Lookout, California area for a while next week, maybe all week, working and hope to have some evenings free. Does anyone have any insight as to where I may find some evening fishing? Suggestions please.

Cary
    Cary Morlan
    AKA Linemender
    Cheapest Guide in the Columbia Basin
    (For good reason)

I think you might find mighty slim pickings this time of year. It has been cold - freezing at night, a little snow during the day but on the bright side according to our local TV next week is susposed to be pretty nice.

I checked the Cal fishing regs and found that the Pit River which runs by the town is closed until mid Apr as is most if not all streams around Lookout. There is a reservoir a few miles from Lookout called Roberts that is susposed to have Bass & cats in it. It is alway very muddy so I have never fished it. To the east of town is a reservoir called Beeler which is clear and has some big bass in it. Don't know if the ice is off of it, but I would guess it is. To the west is a lake called Baum which has trout and is rated as pretty good fishing right now. It might be a little far to travel to if you just have a little while after work. If you go to www.topozone.com you can locate the waters I have listed above.

In addition there is a fly shop in Redding - www.theflyshop.com which has a fishing report and a call to them might be of assistance.

If you are interested take a camera and some glasses and watch the ducks & geese at the Ash Creek marsh which is near Lookout. It can be awesome.

Hope this helps a little, sorry I can't tell you more. Goof Luck

Tim Anderson, Klamath Falls, Oregon

Look up Quail Valley Ranch. Some of their ponds have some mighty fine residents, though I know not of their accessibility.

Cary, I have to second Panman's reference to Baum Lake. You can fish it ok from the bank too. A tube or pontoon would be better but I've caught some nice bows and browns at Baum walking the bank. 6wt. so you can reach out there a ways. Quigly RS2's have been a go to for me there but I'm sure any #16-20 emergers would work if you see fish working close to the surface.

If you had more time, or if you could, on your way to or on your way back from Lookout, presuming you're going the 5 to 299 way, you could stop in Mt. Shasta and ask at Sportsman's Den and John Kennedy will make you aware of a few ways to get down to the Upper Sac (open all year unless they've changed it, John will know)and you'll be in for a treat. Mention Cantera Loop and Ney Springs. If there's snow, Dunsmuir is just 6 miles south but much lower elevation. There's a lake right near Mt. Shasta also and the smallies may be starting by next week. Other than Baum and the Upper Sac, some ponds all around, next thing would be Redding and "The Fly Shop" as mentioned...it's the big time fly shop in the region. Woody or Mike will be a fountain of good info. Neat shop too. Ok, this and all the good stuff everyone else has mentioned should keep you busy googling ! PM if you need more info though and I'll do what I can. Good luck Cary.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

There are new regs for C&R year-round fishing on certain streams effective I believe March 1.
    I fish salt until April usually because it gets so cold in Los Angles- made it to 75degrees yesterday...brrrr! We should warm up a little to 85 today.
    Best to check regs for No. Cal streams w/local shops referenced for access.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

+ Reply to Thread