+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reel For Boo

Default Reel For Boo

Ok,

I am going to be ordering a boo rod this month and it is going to take maybe six months to get it. Well, I want to go the distance I want a excellent reel and line to go with the rod. This is a loaded question and I know opinions but would really like some. Oh and budget well since I have six months to work overtime for now money is not an issue so let me have it...

wireguy

If you can find one the Ross San Miguel is a fine reel. They have been discontinued for a couple of years but really nicely made with classic looks that go well with cane.

If you want a classic reel, buy a Hardy Lightweight series reel. Buy a LRH (3 1/8 inch), or a Featherweight (2 7/8 inches). Best of the click pawl drag reels. You can buy one new for about $400, or find a used one on Ebay in the $200-$300 range. If you want a disc drag, newer reel, I would buy a Hardy Sirrus (gorgeous reel).

Dear wireguy,

What length and line weight rod are you buying?

Knowing that would make it easier to make a suggestion.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Simple, there is only 1 answer if money is not an issue, get the best. Get a Bogdan.
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

I'm really of two minds when it comes to reels for bamboo. Peerless makes some really nice looking little reels, but they are not really ideal fishing tools. I love the way they look on the rod, and I like the style of the reel, but you need a screwdriver to get the spool off - which is a huge pain if your leader gets caught in there. For that reason, I only really fish one of my peerlesses.

As a practical fisherman, I liked the old abel TR clickers that I don't think are made any more. Great reel, and pretty inexpensive. Someone else mentioned Hardy, and while I don't have the reel mentioned, I do have a featherweight, which is in the same line. It's a great little reel. Also, if I were you, I wouldn't pay too much attention to reel weight - I kind of like a heavier reel on my bamboo. There is kind of a fad nowadays to 'balance' a rod with the reel. I don't really buy into it.

In any case, congrats on the new rod, and I hope you find a good reel to go with it.

Default reels

Another vote for Hardy. You can see all of the "classic series" on my website and you can find them at just about any shop that has an interest in cane. I've fished most all of the "modern classics" and I keep coming back to Hardy. The Lightweight series has barely changed in half a century and even though it's the cheapest of their offerings, it doesn't look out of place on any fine cane rod. Remember, you don't need an expensive reel, just a traditional one. A $10,000 gold anodized, titanium, large arbor techno wonder would be a horrific sight on a bamboo rod! Have fun shopping.

Bill O.

www.oysterbamboo.com

Check out Elkhorn's classic. Its about $330 (A sponsor) has a nice reel. Their classic model. Check it out.

http://www.elkhornflyrods.com/reels/classic.cfm

jed

Bamboo is heavier than graphite. You don't want a modern lightweight reel. It won't balance out right.

Get an old classic C&P reel to do it right. To me, nothing looks more goofy than a modern large arbor reel on a bamboo rod. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps
    Bamboo is heavier than graphite. You don't want a modern lightweight reel. It won't balance out right.

Get an old classic C&P reel to do it right. To me, nothing looks more goofy than a modern large arbor reel on a bamboo rod. IMHO

Sorry Gramps, not all are noticably heavier. Depends on the boo. I know you said you like the heavier tip, I don't. I like my transition from glass to Graphite to Bamboo to be a smooth, no brainer.
    I really like the looks of the ElkHorn classic. I recently found another company that builds Vom Hofe replicas for dirt cheap and they are cool looking.
    They will have a I for 4/5 line and a II for 6/7 and the III is already out. I ordered one of the I's for my 7' 4wt and I can't wait to see it.

I use a CFO on mine right now and the old man uses a Hardy LRH on his. Both very light weight and balances out perfect.

+ Reply to Thread