+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you fish Dragons?

Default Do you fish Dragons?

Just thought I would send this question out. Hope none of you use my relatives!(LOL) Here is one of mine followed by a nymph..
    http://www.albumtown.com/showpic.php?ai ... id=1177661

What do you think ? Will they work ?

http://www.albumtown.com/showpic.php?ai ... id=1178658

Good looking flies.

Never had much success with adult dragon patterns, even when fish were grabbing live ones from mid-air.

Pay attention to how your fly spins through the air, that was my largest headache with the adults, cast it out and once it hits the water it starts spinning. Going up to heavier and stiffer leaders didn't help much. They have to be just right.

It may be worth tying up a fly that looks like a cluster or just a mating pair that is sitting on some debris in the water. Rarely will you ever see a single just laying on the water.

Dragon nymph patterns on the other hand are killer. My favorite nymph to catch bass on. Plus being larger sizes they are easier on the eyes to tie.

Beauty is they work dead drifted or swimming because they use their abdomen as jet propulsion.
    Your hooks sharp????

What is the pattern for the second one?

the minnow.
    Rick

Check out this dragonfly "lure"???

http://www.kingofbass.com/

It's almost so crazy I want one for a conversation piece...

Gotta love a website that's got videos of how awesome their product is.
    They are pretty comical to watch.
    Your hooks sharp????

Scary thing is,

The darn thing probably works!!

What weight fly line would you need to cast all that, though?

Cool idea, really.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

like someone above said, never had any luck with adult patterns fished on the surface. nymphs do really well. For the truly lazy, olive buggers work very well at imitating nymphs. i spent a day on one of the ponds i fish with a cast net and a pool net dredging the mud, and dragonfly nymphs were by far the most abundant insect at that time. damsels were pretty common too. I also pulled some crazy stick-bug looking things out that had giant mandibles on the mouth-end. havent tried to imitate that one yet, though, .

My experience is a little different, but fishing MN lakes, I've gotten good panfish action on a blue damsel similar to the link you posted.
    They're no magic bullet, but on warm sunny days in early summer, I do like them alot. I tie mine with stalcups damsel body and polypro yarn.
    So my vote would be a yes!
    -Erik

Rick Z
    This is one of my own patterns I came up with, here it is:
    Hook: dry Fly #6
    Threadlive 6/0
    Tail: olive marabou
    Body: olive rabbit Dubbing
    Back: Mottled Turkey tail
    Eyes: 50lb burnt mono
    Rib: copper wire.
    I also tie these up with a couple of turns of lead wire if I want them to sink a little deeper.
    As for the Adult pattern, I catch a lot of largemouth on these fished around lillies and weed beds. I throw them out and let them sit a few minutes and just give them a couple of twitches now and then, the bass around here love them. I also tie them up in green and in combos of blue and green.

I tie and fish a pattern I call a damsel spinner recipe is as follows.

hump back hook (ie for hoppers and such) in sizes 16-10
    body- buck tail usually black, tied in about a quater hook lenth behind the eyeand extended nearly a full hook lenth beyond the bend.
    thread- uni-stretch is what I preffer in light blue or whatever color matches your local damsels
    wing- pearl flash-a-bou or to match local damsels
    eyes- melted mono I like how these look kinda buggy

tying instuctions- I start by laying down a base of the uni-stretch then tying in the bucktail about a quater hook lenth behind the eye then wrap the hair down the top of the shank to the begining of the bend then wrap the remaining hair as an extended body and back down the hook shank to smooth the body tie in a small clump of pearl flash-a-bou for wings rightin front of where you started the hair then tie in eyes in front of wings,whip finish add a small drop of prefered head cement, and tada

to fish it you can put some floatant on it and fish it as a live damsel stuck in the miniscus by wiggling your rod tip or leave it as is and let it sink very slowly and hold on. I have caught some of my best fish on this fly tied on a 14 just letting it sink slowly and dead drifting it. With the bucktail tied to the top of the shank it seems to roll and tumble much like a dead damsel would in the current and the trout love them.

+ Reply to Thread