Default floss

how do you keep floss from spreding out as it is wrapped

Twist it?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default floss

want it to lay flat

Hi,
    If you want it to lay flat, it needs to spread out. I take it the floss is spreading out too much so it ends up looking like you've got these extra "streams" of floss? I've had that happen a few times. If that's it, try wetting your fingers and dampening the floss to see if that helps control it. Or, when winding it on, use a finger on your free hand as a guide to help keep the strands from separating too much.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

First of all, use one stand if possible or two if you have a lot of wrapping to do. Tie in the floss and stroke the fibers until they are all straight and perpendicular to the hook shank.

When wrapping try and wrap the floss perpendicular or straight in regards to the hook, not on an angle; stroking the fibers to keep them straight as needed. This helps a LOT to keep the fibers flat but not too spread out.

Oh yea, make sure your fingers are smooth, clean and free of grease, hand lotion, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    First of all, use one stand if possible or two if you have a lot of wrapping to do. Tie in the floss and stroke the fibers until they are all straight and perpendicular to the hook shank.

When wrapping try and wrap the floss perpendicular or straight in regards to the hook, not on an angle; stroking the fibers to keep them straight as needed. This helps a LOT to keep the fibers flat but not too spread out.

Oh yea, make sure your fingers are smooth, clean and free of grease, hand lotion, etc.
    I think this is it...especially the one or two strand...

I find it is easier to get nice flat wraps with a rotory vise than trying to wrap around thr hook with a non rotory BILL

Fly tying 101

Every turn you make around the hook produces a twist that must be removed by twisting the bobbin in the reverse direction

like Bill said, not a problem with rotory
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Default floss

Thanks to all.
    Perpendicular and straight sound good. will try that

I tie a ton of wet flies size 6 & 8 that requires floss bodies. I use two strands of Daville floss. Once the floss is tied in you need to lift the two strands at the 12 O'clock position and stroke the two floss strands together at the same time. You will see that the two strands become as if one. Next you as you start making the first wrap you will need to continually stroke the two strands. You will do this until the first wrap has been completed. From there on keep uniform tension on the floss and give it a stroke or two with each turn. You will dee the floss lay down nicely as well as still acting as one nice single piece that was really two. A Rotary vise can not give you the same affect as using your hands. The key with using floss is to use uniform tension and not to over pull so tight or under pull. It only takes a little practice and this will be a non issue moving forward. Last part, make sure you hands are washed before using floss or the oils from your hand will come off and discolor the floss. Also smoothe down and rough spots on your fingers with an emery board to help from fraying the floss. Again I repeat that your hands are the best tool for applying floss and not a rotary vise or floss bobbin.

Andy B

+ Reply to Thread