+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can quit anytime I want to...

Default I can quit anytime I want to...

...but it probably won't be anytime soon. Here's #002 that I finished last night. It's a 8'0" Forecast 4-piece 4wt from H&H. I opted to use color preserver to bring out the thread color, but now I'm not sure it was the right decision. It almost looks cheap looking. Hmmmm.... Oh, well, I have two more blanks in the basement to build up, so I'll decide on coloration techniques when I get them wrapped.

Joe

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe,

It doesn't look cheap to me. Great job!

Will

Joe,
    It looks beautiful!!
    And you bet you can quit, anytime. HA! If anything, it just gets worse!!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Joe - if ya find out how to quite - pls - don't tell me ......

Just epoxied up the grip and reel seat on my 1st rod - Forecast 7'6" 4pc 4wt. And yes - danged it - I left the reel retainer and locking ring off the first time. Going to put the CP on tomorrow nite - should be ready for a pic late tomorrow - or Fri latest.

Then its back on to the bamboo plane form ......... PMQ's ....... bass rods .... pike rods ..... trout creek rods ........ one piece kids PMQ ........ yup ..... pls don't tell me ...... most of all - don't let the wife know

darrell,

I think it looks pretty sharp. Without cp the wraps would blend with blank color. Just depends what your after! Sure you can quit....but first you have to build just a few more... and maybe a couple more...

Good luck with that
    Mike

Joe;

We will call a "Support Group" meeting at the Expo this Saturday. It won't do any good but you'll learn you are not alone! Almost all have the same affliction. No group hugs, no ranting, just take 2 asprin and call the doc in the morning!!
    See Ya Saturday!
    Almost forgot!! Nice looking rod!!

I don't need no mamby pamby support group. I need more blanks, I need more blanks, I need more blanks....

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...

See ya Saturday!

Jpe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Joe;
    You may need medication!! The only one I know of is a severe blow to the head so you can get some sleep, then take 2 asprin!! Advil will not work!
    Don't worry my friend after about 6 or 7 you will settle down and stop shaking and drooling! The drooling is the gross part as it messes up the wraps!!
    See Ya Saturday!!

Joe,

I'm no expert, but I do not think that it looks cheap. The only thing that I don't care for, and it's a personal preference, is the ferrule wraps. My personal preference, is to wrap the ferrules using a thread that matches the color of the blank. When the finished rod is assembled, the ferrules are almost invisible. I like the clean, simple look that I get from only seeing the guide wraps.

That said, I have only built 2 rods, not counting a few that I have wrapped for our club's loaner program. So, take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Respectfully,

Dave Fulton

Personally I like a distinctive wrap at the ferules. Makes it easier to break down the rod after you fish a hatch too late at night. Aren't opinions great? Everyone has one.

Mike

+ Reply to Thread