+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lagartun xx fine wire .....

Default Lagartun xx fine wire .....

Does anyone know where I can find some? Also, I have a spool of silver and wondered if it came in different colors. Thanks.

gqualls:

[url=http://www.hareline.com/threadstinsels.html:74c00]Hareline[/url:74c00] is a distributor so possibly a Hareline dealer can order it for you. The XX only comes in gold & silver.

It's tough stuff to find in the XX size as I found out last year. I got mine from Hook & Hackle in Canada but the link I had is no good any more. The "USA" Hook & Hackle doesn't list it on their website. Possibly another Canadian supplier may have it. It is readily available from UK on-line retailers.

BTW, if you get offered substitutes; here is the measurements I came up with:
    • *Ultra Wire Size Small - .007
      *Ultra Wire Size Ex Small - .005
      *Lagartun Size X Small - .0025
      *Lagartun Size XX Small - .002
    Good luck in your search and let us/me know where you found it for future reference.

Blog Entries

I got some, a few years back, at Float-N-Fish, Navajo Dam, NM (San Juan). There are several members who are SJ regulars and could probably stop in and pick some up for you if you needed it, but I Am sure they would sell it to you over the phone. (505) 632-5385

Makes great ribbing on itty bitty stuff.

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks for the tip. I'm tying up some small midges and wanted to use this as ribbing.

Blog Entries

If you ever come through Nashville, I think that both Fly South and Cumberland Transit usually keep it in stock.

Ed

I get super fine (XX) copper wire from Monster wire (better quality speaker wire). I had yards of the extra wire lying around from my home entertainment system. I just cut it into usable lengths (about 4 inches) and open the covering up enough to hold the wire but let me grab a piece at a time. You can also fine XXX fine wire in those little headphones that no longer work (my kids go through them like candy). Anyway...I get most of my copper from old wiring now. It's easier and doesn't accidentally unravel.

I still buy gold and silver though.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Quote Originally Posted by Mato Kuwapi
    I get super fine (XX) copper wire from Monster wire (better quality speaker wire). Anyway...I get most of my copper from old wiring now. It's easier and doesn't accidentally unravel.

I still buy gold and silver though.
    But the big advantage of Lagartun or Ultra Wire is it's varnished unlike speaker wire so it doesn't tarnish or get oxidized. In my case; my sometimes clammy hands and the subsequent skin oils and acids will turn unvarnished wire or tinsel dark to green in short order.

I never thought about the tarnish aspect.

With copper I'm not worrying about sparkle. I want it to be subdued as I use it only to suggest segmentation or to hold materials in place, so tarnish as I see it is a good thing. If i want it to contrast such as in some midge patterns, I'll use the Uni or other fly tiers wire in silver or gold. I'm also not worried about how my flies look as they are for me...just as long as they work better than the guys next to me.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

+ Reply to Thread