Bob, I too, would be interested in seeing a position statement from the DEQ. Basically what happened was Merit Energy asked for permission, DEQ said ok. Once the word got out on the disposal system approved, it became known that the local landowners hadn't been notified or polled, the local governmental bodies hadn't been notified, local conservation groups hadn't been notified, and the fisheries division of the DNR had been ignored. After some public outcry, the DEQ hosted an "informational" meeting at the proposed Kolke Creek dumping site. It was one of the most interesting meetings I ever attended. After opening remarks from a DEQ official (in which he said expense to Merit hadn't been a factor in deciding to grant their dumping proposal and in which he couldn't correctly pronounce the toxins involved), he asked for questions. The prevailing questions and attitudes from those in attendance were obviously in complete opposition to the issuance of the permit. Interestingly enough, when I asked what the prime reason the permit was issued under instead of insisting on another method of disposal, the answer was "expense involved". It's pretty obvious that the DEQ had no idea the dissention the decision would bring. And now, months later, hundreds of thousands of dollars have been spent by the Anglers of the Au Sable (money we would have loved to spend in habitat) and the poor people with the poisoned wells still have no relief in sight.