+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible a Miracle?

Default Possible a Miracle?

I got the 2007 Madison river Fishing Company catalogue in today.

On page 46 of the catalogue, in their flies section, they have 12 carp flies for sale. I had to look twice to make sure.

Rick

Just a FYI. Cabelas and Feather craft both offer carp flies also. Just thought I would add that in case you didn't already know.

The point for me was that what had been a trout-saltwater cataloge, now has some carp flies in it. We might even get some gill and crappie flies there sometime.

Rick

Oh, I see. I am not famiular with the catalog you mentioned. Yeah it is nice when companies start carring more merchindise, exspecialy if it's stuff you like and use !

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default carp flies

After decades of fly-fishing, I am of the opinion that anything that swims can be caught on a fly rod with the right fly, and techniques. I even purposly target catfish with my 8 wt. now. I do at least as good as I did, using that nasty stink-bait.

Semper Fi!

gigmaster, I'm certainly not Castwell nor Ladyfisher, but I'd sure love seeing you do a how-to story for the warmwater section here on targeting channel catfish. I've caught many cats on flies but have never targeted them. Only a very few were "bottom feeders" and those were caught when I was gravel scratching for walleyes. Most were caught with suspended Clousers and nymphs when fishing for bass, crappies and bluegill. Hatch posted one of those for me on this site last week, a cat that just exploded on the fly. Three of us were fly fishing a farm pond for bass when the cat hit and it was like everyone stopped to see what suddenly happened. It was literally like a bomb had gone off. I was sure I had the MO state record bass until it started fighting, which was unmistakingly a catfish. Please give my suggestion some serious thought. JGW

for you carp guys. whats a fairly simple fly for them carp?

Thanks
    WWFF

Default Re: carp flies

What flies do you like to use for catfish??
    KAHUNA

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    After decades of fly-fishing, I am of the opinion that anything that swims can be caught on a fly rod with the right fly, and techniques. I even purposly target catfish with my 8 wt. now. I do at least as good as I did, using that nasty stink-bait.

Semper Fi!

Warmwater send me your snail mail and I will mail you a few of my best carp killers. Simple to tie.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

I use a few simple clouser type flies and several rubber legged trout flies It all depends on many, many factors like time of year, local food, water temp, and the fishes actions. My buddy John and I found a bunch feeding under some dock lights on small and I do mean small midges. I bet a size 20 (grifith)sp? gnat would have killed em.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

+ Reply to Thread