+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Floatant

Default Floatant

I need a good floatant for dry flys etc. Anyone have any home ideas or remedies.
    thanks
    TonyC.
    Thanks everyone, here I sit tying flys, temperature dropping from 40 the low teens and winds to 40 mph. Don't feel like going out, "talk about me getting lazy." I can't wait for summer.
    Thanks again
    TonyC.
    THE SUGGESTIONS ARE GREAT,I WON'T BURN THE HOUSE DOWN ALTHOUGH THE TEMP. IS A RECORRD 0' DEGREES.
    I HAVE RAIN X, AND WILL BE SURE TO BUY GINK AND TRY OTHERS WHEN I GET TO THE FLY SHOP.
    TonyC.

Gink.

not to steal your thread but at fly shops is there floatant on the flies that you can purchase? sorry this may be a stupid Q but i've never bought any flies from shops

WWFF

Rain-X . Dip fly, shake off excess, wait 24 hrs and you're ready to go.

Regards,
    Scott
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Definetly Gink

I've heard about some folks making a concoction out of kerosene and parafin wax as a floatant. It may be "good" for fast water, though the mini oil slick = bad kharma, IMHO. No idea about the specific recipe. I have no experience with pretreating flies with Sno-Seal, or Scotch Guard type of products though I believe others on this board have mentioned doing so.

Warmwater- Fly shops do sell dry fly floatants, which can be silicone powder, paste, or sprays to apply on-stream to flies. ( I like the paste type, but use the silicone powder type to restore flies after they have been worked and slimed over by a fish). Most commercially sold dry flies, to my knowledge, are not pretreated with flotants. The few that I have seen that have been pretreated are identified as such, to help sell them. Even if they were pretreated, I'd still want floatant with me.

peregrines

Frog Fanny; since I started using it my liquid Mucillin, Gink, etc, just collects lint.

I think the question was about "home brewed"
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Gink is $3 a bottle, a bottle will last a year or more. Why bother with a half baked home brew that will not work anywhere near as well???
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

+ Reply to Thread