+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing from a boat

Default Fishing from a boat

I fish from a 14' Jon boat. Besides my outboard I am currently using a transom mounted electric. Back in my gear fishing/bass boat days I would set the motor on low cruise along and cast to likly looking spots until I found fish. This doesn't seem to work too well with the fly rod. I have been using the electric to go between spots and anchor. Part of the problem is the transom mounted motor doesnt control the boat as well as a bow mount. Before I invest in a bow mount I was just courious how everybody else manages. Anchoring seems to work well for panfish but i would like to be able to cover more ground when targeting bass.

I use bow mount on my jon boat.

Typcially, you can turn the head on the trolling motor and convert it to bow mount with little effort. The bows of various boats are different, and I don't know how you'd place it on yours. But on my boat, I can put a little piece of wood and screw the TM right on. Mine is a 10 year old plus MK Turbo 36lb thrust.

The downside to bowmount is the TM gets in the way and it is easier to twirl up a flyline. If you look at the new Ranger flatboats, and I suppose other brands as well, they are trying to mount trolling motors on the back with no vertical shaft, and have the guide work a hand control. That leaves the deck completely open for a fly fisherman.

I suppose that with a bow mount, hand-operated unit, the best thing may be to put the TM on the side of the bow you are not standing on and get an extension handle to operate it.

I also reversed my Minn Kota TM and put it on the bow. Make a simple bracket out of angle bracket and piece of 2 x 4. Loosen the screw under the control and turn the head. I added a swivel seat on a post and a foot control on and off switch. Cast, run the motor with the switch and keep casting.BILL

Having played with all kinds of gadgets and motor systems, I've found simplicity often works best ( after a little practice.) First , I try to set up so that the wind /current do most of the work and push me in teh right direction. I then use the electric or occasional stroke of the aors to correct my course. A captured set of oars (i.e. pinned or clamped locks)work REAL well once you get the hang of them. In fact, I often leave the electric /gas motor at home and do all my menuvering with the oars. I can even row from a standing position in my 12' jon.

p.s. On many electrics, you can reverse the head so it can clamp on the bow and have teh control face you.

Guys,

Yep, you can jury rig a transom mount electric motor so that you use it on the bow of your boat.

Why would you want to?

You still have to use your hands to operate the thing. This means that it will stick up to where you can reach it. THAT means it's in the way.

Once you obtain and learn to operate a foot controlled bow mount, you'll wonder how you ever fly fished without one.

I prefer the Minn Kota 'powerdrive' models. On these the the pivot is controlled by a motor rather than a 'push/pull' cable. They have a very flexible cord (like an extension cord) to the foot control pad that can be placed anywhere in the boat, the cord lays flat on the deck so you don't tangle it with the fly line, and the pad takes only a small amout of foot movement to operate. AND, when you stop the motor rotation, the motor STAYS where you have it pointed until YOU move it (something that some cable operated motors don't do).

I really can't fish without it.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

fish4trout, if you're talking about 'the lake' you'll think this is crazy but I'd fish from Lakehead up to the mouth and back in my 11 ft. jon boat mostly rowing but with some use of the Minn Kota 28 TM. If I wasn't rowing and just drifting with the breeze, I'd set the Minn on the lowest thrust and set the tension device so it would stay put and I'd cast to the bank, structure, overhanging trees etc. I did really well that way and did all this from the middle seat. Hope you get ideas from that.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Thanks for all the ideas guys. I guess I just need to do a better job of walking and chewing gum

Alan,
    Good question. A bow mount TM is the way to go with a foot control. Just get some netting material, pinch on some pinch-on fishing weights to hold the netting material down and throw it over the foot control so your fly line won't get tangled and you're good to go.
    Robert

Good idea with the netting

+ Reply to Thread