Not looking to start a ruckus here but I've had something on my heart for a while and thought I would share a little bit. This concerns the whole idea of what constitutes a sportsman/woman. I'm not looking for a particular definition. I'd rather you share what you believe to be the essence, the makeup, of a person you deem to be a sportsman. When I was a whole lot younger someone influenced me greatly on this topic. I was told that a sportsman would share his/her knowledge of a particular creek with a stranger who might be arriving as he/she was leaving. A sportsman would also share what the fish were biting on and even offer some flies if the newcomer did not have any. Those are the two parts that have stayed with me the longest.

My experiences while fishing have been varied, no doubt your's have as well. But it seems to me there is a growing trend to be more tight-lipped. You've met them on the river, perhaps, and they won't share anything. In fact, sometimes all you can get is an ugly look. I'm not suggesting that everyone post things on an open forum. I understand the great risk involved in sharing info with someone you don't know. I also understand not everyone is committed to catching and releasing. But there are people I have known for several years who have become more "unsportsmanlike". I just don't understand it. For those of us who experience so much joy in this sport, how can some try to keep it all to themselves?

It has been said (agree or disagree) that golf is the last of the "gentlemen's games". I guess I think of flyfishing and sportsmanship in the same vein. I'd hate to see this become a growing trend.

Side note: this is not aimed at anyone on this board, honestly. I'm simply reflecting from my own experiences here in Western North Carolina. I have met alot of sportsmen/woman on this board who have shared liberally about their passion of flyfishing/tying. I welcome your comments.

Greg