Hi all-

Saw a recent post on another thread about a hook that was accidentally embedded in someone's foot. So here's an old technique for removing a hook in the field. Many of the folks on this board have already seen it elsewhere and probably have used it over the years, but I thought I'd pass it along for newbies and others that might have friends that drop their backcasts on occassion....

FIRST A DISCLAIMER: I'm not a Doctor. I don't even play one on TV. Please use your judgement and common sense--- I WOULD NOT use this to remove a hook near an eye, an artery, or anywhere on my mother-in-law.

I've had luck removing hooks by "snatching"... doubling and looping a heavy piece of tippet around the shank, (or fly line for saltwater hooks), slipping it down to the bend, and yanking the doubled line with one hand while pressing down on the top of the shank with the thumb of the other hand.

The hook backs out of the hole it went in, and pressing down on the shank helps the barb stay in the original "wound channel". So far it's worked very well about 10 times over the years, yanking hooks out of arms, bellies, legs, feet, and one ear (don't ask...).

Usually, I say I'm going to count to THREE and yank, but then snatch it out after ONE (before they tense up). It seems to come out easily and often the person doesn't even realize it's out before it's all over.

It beats leaving the water for a hospital waiting room....especially if it's only in your buddy and the fish are biting.

It also works on yourself, but don't ask me how I know this.

Good luck and I hope you never have to use it.

peregrines