OK. First of all I know this many times gets the smaller trout but sometimes you just "have to catch something".

Get your ever-ready black wooly bugger and cast it(wherever...it doesn't matter much as you will see).
Let it drift downsteam to directly downstream from you and let it sit "motionless" at the end of your line. What good does this do?
Well that wooly bugger will look like a small fish(or whatever) just 'treading water'. Got to think how this looks to a fish. To a fish anything remaining 'motionless' in a stream is really swimming.
Trout will look at it! Many times they will take it before it gets directly down stream from you. But letting it "just sit" makes it look more tempting to them. Occasioanally strip a small amnount of line(like it's swimming upstream) and many times this is all it takes to elicit a strike.
Many times I will strip it in a little and then let it drift back downstream and start all over without casting.

Works like a charm. I started doing this after noticeing how trout hit a roostertail on an ultralite. A wooly bugger looks a LOT like the body of a roostertail.

A great way to fish for beginners because it entails very little or no casting ability. I learned this while learning how not to mess up my leader(learning how to fish while learning how to cast)