+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Finding Fly Tying Material

Default Help Finding Fly Tying Material

Hopefully someone here can point me in the right direction. Maybe the saltwater folks?

I'm looking for a translucent plastic material similar to scudback but with small reflective flecks in it and/or a reflective/prismatic sheen (in clear). I'm looking for this material in clear, light blue, chartreuse, and orange. It needs to be at least 1cm wide, but could come in sheets that I could cut in strips.

If someone knows what I am talking about, then they will likely know what I want to use it for. And I need copious amounts (for personal use, not commercial) of the stuff. If anyone can plug me in to a good source for the material, I will share the secret with them...if they don't already know.

Thanks.

personally i would just use silly skin, it is good flashy body material

I second the recommendation on Sili Skin. Cabela's has it for $5.99 for two 2"X6" strips. Comes in the following colors: Mother of Pearl, Prismatic Silver, Road Slick, Olive, Metallic Silver, Green Splash, Belly White....Item # TT 31-7729

They also have Embossed Pearl Flashback, Item # TT 31-9201 for $3.75. Comes as a 3"X12" sheet.

That is all I have found so far. I will keep looking.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Well, I found a couple more items that might work for you. I do not know what you need it for, so, the above suggestions from me plus these may be a waste of your time.

www.stonerivroutfitters.com

Prismatic Tape - 3/4" wide with adhesive back and is 2 foot long for $1.00 and comes in the following colors: Blue, Chartreuse, Gold, Pearl, Red, Silver

Scale Tape - Adhesive backed, 2"X3", pre-printed scale pattern clear sheets which allows under body color to show through at $1.00 per sheet. Comes in Gold,Silver,Copper

I may keep looking because I just like to help others.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

So, I'm reading that Sili Skin is "self-adhesive." I want to know how sticky it is: like tape sticky? Or does it just tend to cling to itself because of the natural tackiness of silicone?

I don't need this stuff to stick to anything. But I think you fellas are on the right track.

Also, anybody know the difference between Sili Skin and Thin Skin?

SM..

Ive never used the silly skin... but it looks good for gummy minnows..

as far as the thin skin..I can care less for it.. Ive worked with it a few time and just dont like it.. its almost 3x as thick as scud back but you have to cut it your self.. and some people say if you strech it, it works better..
    but if you strech it to much the flakes come off...

but thats just me

Leonard

I live only two miles form Stone River Outfitters.
    They have a 800 number and are very helpful when I gothere. Try calling them and ask about how sticky the skin is.
    Tel 800-331-8558
    Bluewilly

Stone River Outfitters, LLC
    132 Bedford Center Road
    Bedford, NH 03110
    Telephone: 603 472-3191
    Fax: 603 472-3105
    To Place Orders: 800 331-8558
    Email: sales@stoneriveroutfitters.com

Thanks, gang. I'm doing some investigating.

Ken

One of best choices to get into the "right" material would be Feather-Craft in St. Louis.

Another choice would be Dale at Blue Ribbon in Mt. Home, or Mountain River Shop in Cotter. Both of those folks have easy access to WAPSI.

I've little doubt that between these you can get exactly what you want.

+ Reply to Thread