+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio Nymph Line

Default Rio Nymph Line

Anyone tried the new Rio Nymph line yet ???? the one with the bright colore first 8 feet?
    If so, what did you think of it?

I have one, for 6 WT. On mine, only the first 6" is orange, which I have found to be a helpful addition. It turns over a nymph rig very well, heavy streamers too. It turns over with so much power that fishing dry flies with it is no fun. If you're looking for a line just for nymphing it's the best I've found. Mends well, floats very high, turns over well and should last as long as other Rio lines which I have found is longer than most other companies.

I also have this line (in 5 WT). I like it a lot, seems to load very well. It has a built in loop connector which I don't like (I prefer to nail knot my leaders to the fly line) but I've been hesitant to cut off. I'm afraid the tip will start sinking if it's sealed in some way and I cut it.

A&W,
    If you cut off the built in loop you should be able to "seal" the end of the fly line with zap-a-gap. I think this would close up the end and still float. I may be wrong so hopefully somebody else will offer an opinion too.

Jeff

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

Used the line last week. It is a FANTASTIC FLY LINE! I used it on my 5wt XP and couldn't believe how nicely it turned over a nymph rig. It was pretty windy at times and the line made casting and in particular mending a breeze.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Sorry in advance for the stupid question. Don't nymph lines sink?
    Any and all responses are welcome. Please clarify,as I honestly don't know.
    Thank You

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

No, it floats. It also says on the package that you can cut the first 6" off without altering performance. I do think that the extra bulk up there helps it float better, and though I too like a nail knot, I really have come to like the loop up there. Sometimes when streamer fishing or nymphing without an indicator all you need to see it that orange tip take a little jump. The loop to loop connection will also hinge a bit and get your nymphs deeper faster. It's a well thought out product.

Hate to hijack the thread, but does anyone have a secret to tying a nice, compact loop in stiff leader material. I make my own leaders (usually George Harvey style) and use Maxima for the first few sections. These worked great when I knail knotted them to the fly line, but my perfection loop seems way to big. Maybe I just need to practice more.

Benjo,

"It turns over a nymph rig very well, heavy streamers too. It turns over with so much power that fishing dry flies with it is no fun."

How do you think it would be with large stonefly dries?

This thread really caught my eye since the day before I was on the Deschutes and the stoneflies were all over the bank but not flying yet [interested only in sex] and so the fish weren't really looking up yet so I used a Brook's stone nymph thinking they may still be on the nymph stage....had some success but since I was using a ghost tip it was hard to really follow the drift. If that Rio line would cover the nymphs and large flies it would be just what the doctor ordered. It's advertised to handle large flies?????

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 29 May 2005).]

Bumping up in case Benjo missed this....

+ Reply to Thread