+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Long time

Default Long time

Haven't had much online time for a while between work and senior project at school. I did my 8 page essay on the history of fly fishing and built a fly rod as my product. The fly rod is a 3 weight with single foot guides. Had a blast doing this project. The best part was the first outing with the rod on a small stream that drains off a large neighborhood pond. Here is the biggest fish caught:

My biggest crappie yet.
    https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos ... zf1l1xnuxz

Have to figure out the image thing

Lookin' good irondragon13 ! Nice crappie..

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi ID

It sounds as if you have had a very successful end to your senior project. I sure hope that you get an A+ from your teacher. You made a good choice when you selected a three weight rod. It looks like a perfect match for you fishing conditions. Keep up the good work! 8T

Hey 'Dragon, nice fish!

If you don't mind me asking, what fly were you using?

Also, I'm curious where the fish was holding. Up in that white water at the drop, or somewhere in the pool below the drop?

I scouted my favorite fishing lake over the weekend; the three main arms were still ice-covered so it'll be a little while longer before I can get to the spots where I can catch a crappie just like yours.

Are crappie a beautiful fish to catch on fly tackle or WHAT?

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hyde
    Are crappie a beautiful fish to catch on fly tackle or WHAT?
    Yes they are, Joe.

13 incher at a pond on #4 Minnow Crease Fly three or four weeks ago. Hooked on the outside of the mouth as you can see.

Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Robert,

Don't photos like these violate the Geneva Convention on the treatment of Prisoners of Work?

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Dixie, is that a crease fly? Can you provide some particulars since the only example I have for my upcoming swap is an ocean-liner of a fly. Well, I bought it in Boston FGS! Nice crappies. JGW

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hyde
    Robert,

Don't photos like these violate the Geneva Convention on the treatment of Prisoners of Work?
    LOL, Joe I think I sent you a few of those #4 MCFs (Minnow Crease Flies). I got lucky on that Speck. They were chasing minnows in amongst the lily pads so that's where I threw the #4 MCF. The Speck rolled on the fly and that's why its foul hooked. Had a hard time landing that one in around the lily pads. First Speck I've caught on an MCF near the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by white43
    Dixie, is that a crease fly? Can you provide some particulars since the only example
    Yes, JG, that is a #4 Aberdeen Minnow Crease Fly. The original pattern that is as close to mine as I've seen in the link below:

[url=http://chemprof.tripod.com/crease.htm:b271f]Crease Fly[/url:b271f]

But mine is a little different even though it is narrow like the Mark Delaney one above. For the #4 Aberdeen hook, I cut a section from a 2mm white foam sheet that is 7/8" X 1/2" with a V cut or notched in the rear after trimming the sides lengthwise just a slight bit so that it tapers to the rear. Then I use magic markers to make the greenback down the center and red gill slits. I take a piece of iridescent gift wrap paper (I got from Albertson's Grocery Store) and knurl the surface over a wood file to texture the paper and then I finally superglue that to the trimmed foam body after the body marker ink has dried. I then cut out the body from the gift wrap paper. I use black shag craft fur for the tail and then I superglue the narrow foam body over the hook shank holding it in place with paper bulldog clips until it dries. Add black plastic half round eyes with superglue, overcoat with Sally and that's it. I have a body pattern that I made but using the above measurements, I just eyeball it now .

Tell you what, JG, just PM me your snail mail and I'll send you a few along with the body pattern I use. They're cheap and easy to tie so I usually tie a bunch at one time. Not only that but I loose a whole lot of them to weeds and LMB. I've caught Bluegill, Shellcracker, LMB, and now Specks on them. Most anything that bites a minnow seems to go for it. It usually rides straight on or just under the surface but there are times (depending on how I tie my knot to the fly) that I can make it ride in the water like a crippled minnow too .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

The fly:
    A size ten I got in a swap a while back
    http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/ ... q8z6migzel

And here is another crappie from when I went back(not so big):

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/ ... d94wcod1fe

The area I fish is the largest part of the stream. A pool that is about 15ft across. It has tons of small panfish. The fish were at the edge of the current or just in it. Also it is a little warmer down here. This is the first time I have caught anything this large in this stream. I like it because I can always catch something there.

Here is what else the fish liked:

http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/photos/ ... slel82bfk9

Steven

+ Reply to Thread