+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cabela's fly rods

Default Cabela's fly rods

Cabela's sure has some nice looking, high end, fly rods like their SL and LST's. I'm wondering how they would compare with a high end, name brand version like Sage or Loomis?

Who supplies Cabela's with the rods they put their name on?

I believe the question about who makes their rods went unanswered recently. It may be one of those closely guarded secrets.

I can tell you that I bought the 4-piece LST 7wt this past August for steelhead, and I'm extremely pleased with it. I like a fast rod, so it met my expectations there, and it's very light weight as well. I have it fitted with 7wt Mastery line on a Cabelas CSR reel. Don't see any need to overline it, as it performs flawlessly out of the box. I used it for a 6-hour stint and did not tire from its weight. It comes with a 25 year warranty and travel tube as well. Fine piece of gear, IMHO, so it must come from one of the better builders in the industry. I paid full price for it, but it's well worth it.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

I've been pondering this myself, I know a couple of people who have cabelas rods and are pleased, yet I wonder how they compare. I bought a LSR reel which is really nice, yet I don't like the big "Cabelas" logo emblazoned on it, makes it look cheap.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Valencic
    I believe the question about who makes their rods went unanswered recently. It may be one of those closely guarded secrets.

Joe
    Maybe but I'll ask the question again....Who?

I do not known who makes Cabela's fly rods, but, I do know that a Cabela's Prestige fly reel spool will fit perfectly on an Okuma fly reel and vise versa. If you look at the pictures of each reel in the Cabela's catalog, they look identical except different names on them.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Warren...what model Okuma?....Helios???

ducksterman,

The Okuma I have I believe they no longer make and I think it is the Sierra S5/6. The spool on it and the spool on the Cabela's Prestige will swap out with each other and either spool will work on the other reel. Side by side, I do not think you can tell them apart.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I purchased a 5 piece 9ft 6wt travel rod combo from Cabelas a couple of years ago. I am very pleased with the rod's fast action and quality. I use the rod on larger streams as well as in lakes and resevoirs when I am float tubing.

The rod casts very well and fishes well.The combo was also reasonably priced.

I myself am not that brand/image conscious. I want good quality and a good warranty at a reasonable price. Never when I have been fishing has anyone come up to me and asked me what type of rod I am using.

So Cabelas may not have the big brand name of a Sage, Winston, Albright etc. but this rod works for me. And yes, I can afford the higher priced named rods, however I elect to spread my money out in different ways(have more $ for more rods and other pieces of fishing gear)

Default RE: Cabela's fly rods

I have two Cabela's fly rods and the quality of the two couldn't be more different. One is a Cabela's Genesis rod that is sold as part of an into fly fishing kit. The rod is billed as a "medium-fast" action but in my experience is more medium/moderate than fast. The cosmetics of the rod aren't nearly as nice as other companies introductory rods (cheap plastic reel seat, poor quality epoxy job, etc.), but functionally it does the job. I found that it works much better after I replaced the WF line with a DT line. The rod loads easier and is much more pleasurable to cast.

My other rod is an LST 9' 6wt. and as I said couldn't be more different. The rod is as Joe noted very light and very fast. I've found through trial and error that my casting style is better suited to a fast action rod so this rod suits me well. It has an impecible epoxy job and the woven graphite reel seat is set off nicely by the titianium hardware. I happened to find mine in the bargan cave at their Ft. Worth, TX store for 50% off even though from what I can tell it was never fished (still had the plastic on the grip when I bought it. Certainly for the money I am incredibly happy, but I probably would have bought one at full price at some point anyway. If you have a Cabela's near your home be sure to check the bargan cave as they may have some nice rods for a reasonable price.

Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

One advantage of buying a brand name is if you buy it used. You can almost always get your money back for it.

I've bought many high end rods used for half price. I fished them for awhile, and then got my money back for them. It's a much better way to test a rod than parking lot casting at a store.

+ Reply to Thread