+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hollow punches

Default Hollow punches

I didn't even know these existed....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Hey Duck,

I've been expounding the virtues of hollow core
    punches for foam poppers and sliders for years now.
    Check out Harbor Freight. About half the price of
    Ebay.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Jim,

Check out my posts on the pencil sharpener thread...been there done that some time ago...thanks to you....

I just thought some of the folks that didn't have access to a lathe might be interested in these...designed already to chuck up....unfortunately they don't go to 3/4"

Let me say again to those that haven't tried...chucking up in a drill is the way to go...these come ready made for ...drill press or portable....

Geeze! Late last fall I bought two punches for about $25 and they're no different looking than that nine-piece set for $6 at Harbor Freight. Thanks, Hatch. I guess sometimes you just have to ask. JGW

I have some punches and they work great. Glue to sheets of foam together with Super 77 spray adhesive, the best I have used so far.
    You can make almost any color combo you want with these.

Rick

copper pipe works just as well in a pinch ..... although some dismantlin gmight be required

I have a set of punches I bought at big lots for around $6. I have been using them for aroung three years now and they work great! I use foam flip-flops and those foam kids puzzles they sell at the dollar store for bigger bodies, garden knelling pads also work. The kids puzzles come with many different colors in them. I punch out the cylinders and then put them on my dremel to shape them. Just my 2 bits,Good luck and have fun!

I typically use copper pipe and I have to keep sharpening them. Even with the punches I'd have to use the copper pipe to make the large fly rod size Hula Poppers. I'm going to get me a set, though. Can't believe I spent about $30 bucks for two of them. This was at what we lovingly refer to as our "local fly shop." Hatch says we can get a whole set for $6. I'm not the smartest fellow on the blue planet, but I think there might be a bit of a mark up on what I bought. JGW

Yep, I've got a set of punches Jim H. put me on several years ago that work really well to punch out flip flops and other foam sheets to make bass poppers with. They work well.
    Robert

I ended up making my punches out of bullet shell casings for almost nothing. I drill out the primer and slip in a 3/32 inch bolt with the head of the bolt inside the shell casing. I then tighten a nut down on the back of the shell case and I have a punch with a shank that works great with either my eletric drill or drill press. One final enhancement that I've made is to cut a slot in each side of the shell casing in to facilitate the removal of any popper bodies that may get "stuck" up into the shell casing. Anyway, I have them in sizes ranging from 22 caliber upto 50 caliber. To make a punch out of a high caliber shell with "sholders" on it, simply insert the finished punch into the drill/drillpress and turn it on to cut off the shell just above the sholder. This has proven to be a very economical way to get several size punches that work great.

Jim Smith

+ Reply to Thread