Just few thoughts on 'fly size'.

The definition of 'small' when it comes to the size of the flies we fish for bass is relative.

Consider what is considered 'small' by the average conventional tackle bass fisherman.

Four inch plastic worms are 'finesse baits'.

Three inch long crankbaits that weigh around 1/4 to 3/8 ounce are 'little bitty plugs'.

1/4 ounce spinnerbaits that measure around 5 to 6 inches long and two to three inches top to bottom are 'small ones'.

The 'average' soft plastic bass bait is between 5 and 7 inches long.

Crankbaits and minnow baits run 4 to 6 inches.

Jigs have between 1/4 and 1 ounce of lead on them, plus the weight of the skirt and trailer.

A 'classic' topwater bait like the Zara Spook is 5 inches long and weighs 3/4 ounce. Jerk baits like the Rattling Rogue are five inches long and weigh 1/2 ounce.

NONE of these are considered 'big' lures. These are 'every day' baits that fishermen use to catch the 'average' 10 to 14 inch fish.

The 'big' lures, the ones that the guys who target 'trophy' fish with, ARE big.

11 to 18 inch worms. Soft plastic swim baits that are 8 to 12 inches long. Trout imitation plugs that are 12 inches long and weigh 8 ounces.

Now, I know you can catch big bass on small flies. I prefer to do it that way, primarily because I like to use light rods and I'm not too concerned with fish size. Smaller baits are easier to cast, as a whole, and I know my waters well and have an understanding of what to use and how.

But just consider how big your 'large' flies are that you use for bass.

Bass can, and are genetically programmed to, eat large meals. More 'bang for the buck' as far as energy goes. That large mouth allows them to eat comfortably anything that's up to 1/2 their length. We've all either experienced or seen the photos of the bass caught on the bait that was larger than it was.

It's unlikely that you can tie a fly that you can throw on the average bass fly rod that's 'too big' for a four pound bass to eat. It's likely a one pounder can easily eat all but the largest saltwater flies available in most fly shops (but it's also likely that most one pound bass would TRY).

Just something to think about.

Good Luck!

Buddy