+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Dry fly boxes

Default Best Dry fly boxes

Alright, here is my problem... I have two C&F design fly boxes (one with the middle flap that holds something like 500+ flies). The other C&F box just has the micro slots on both sides (without the middle insert).

I also have to Wheatly fly boxes. One with 16 compartments and the rows of clips. The other is just flat foam on one side and rippled foam on teh other.

I am trying to figure out the best way to carry dry flies. Of the boxes listed, which would you use and why. Originally I had the dries in the second C&F box but I was concerned that Iwould crush the wings, etc. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Normand Guest

My biased choice is the Dewitt clear plastic compartment boxes.

I prefer compartments for dry flies; the choice of box & brand is up to you.

I prefer foam pads for nymphs, the choice of box & brand is up to you.

I don't like clips, I don't like Nubby-Tack or reasonable facsimiles, I don't like fleece or felt, I don't like magnets although they aren't the worse choice.

I never tried the C & F slitted inserts; I guess because I wear a Richardson Box; but if I did I would only use them for nymphs or streamers.

I just feel there are too many things to "smoush" on a dry fly with my fat fingers when trying to stick it in regular or slitted foam.

I use the C&F boxes without the insert for my dries. (one box for caddis, one for mayflies, one for terrestrials and attractors, and one miscellaneous box mostly filled with emergers. The insert adds a lot of space, but it can crush delicate wings or hackle. I like everything about the C&F boxes besides the price. Even though they work really well, $30+ for a couple ounces of foam and plastic is pretty harsh.

I have the C&F's you mention. I use the flip one to hold smaller nymphs and the one w/o the flip to hold dries. Seems to work pretty well for me. I plan to get one more of the larger ones (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...RowWaterproof/) to hold streamers on one side and larger nymphs/stones on the other side.

The micro slit foam can't be beat. They are spendy though!

I like compartment boxes for dries also. I'd use the Wheatley with compartments & clips. I keep my dries in a Wheatley box and use the clips for nymphs. Whatever dries don't fit in the Wheatley I put in smaller boxes such as a Myran plastic compartment box and the small Cabela's Wheatley knockoff - both great boxes.

I like the (C&F) 'Micro-slits.' I love the nostalgia of the little flip-up tabs on my Wheatley's but I lose flies and can't see at a glance what I have. Backing the fly into the 'slit' is perfact for me instead of poking the barb in. I also use them for flies that are not dry, bonefish etc.

(I confess to owning several styles of boxes,,, including a few Dewitt!)

I have a Wheatly with the swing leaf all ripple foam.
    That's 4 ripple foam pages it holds over 1000 flies if you use tweasers. The only problems I have is with size 12 or larger hackled flies you then need a Dewitt style box that will handle the large flies so not to crush the hackle or wings.
    Another Wheatly swing leaf with all flat foam will handle just as many nymphs,wets,streamers.

Tom

Thanks all...

I love my wheatley (with the compartments) my wife got it for two years ago for CHristmas and while it is not the most convenient box I own (C&F beats it hands down on that scale) it is still my favorite box for personal reasons. The only thing I don't like about it, really, is that when you open the compartments the smaller dries tend to catapault out of the box (like static cling). But, I guess that is a small price to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge Man
    Thanks all...
    ... The only thing I don't like about it, really, is that when you open the compartments the smaller dries tend to catapault out of the box (like static cling)....
    LOL. There's actually a "technique" to opening the compartments. When you release the clip, allow the lid to hit one of your fingers so you can let it open slowly.

+ Reply to Thread