+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make yarn indicators?

Default How to make yarn indicators?

I decided to make yarn indicators instead of using the styrofoam indicators b/c they seem to wrap up on my line too much and may affect my casting as well. I notice several websites have pictures and steps on how to make these indicators. is there any particular website that explains how to make a yarn indicator easier? Furthermore, what kind of yarn do I use to make this indicator and where can I acquire it? I'll be using it to float small nymphs but at the same time I may need an indicator puffy enough to be able to float under the weight of a 1/100th and/or 1/80th ounce maribou jig

Normand Guest

Normand Guest

oops

where can I acquire and purchase the yarn and o rings? i dont need the big bulk packs, just enough to make 3 or 4

Quote Originally Posted by fishinnstudyin
    where can I acquire and purchase the yarn and o rings? i dont need the big bulk packs, just enough to make 3 or 4
    Go to Wal-Mart...pick up some NeedleLoft yarn...25 cents...nylon

They may have o rings ....or Lowes or Home Depot

Does anyone know of natural materials that work well for strike indicators? I always hate using stuff that isn't biodegradable.

The small "O-rings" can be found at most hardware and Orange Borg type stores in the plumbing section.

Many different poly yarns can be used for the indicator,,,additional flotation with silicone waterproofing is also helpfull. If the yarn is too thin it will hold the water and not be very efficient.

Regards,
    FK

ducksterman, hate to disagree, but nylon is heavier than water and will not float as well as polyethylene yarn. I don't know a good source of poly yarn now. I still have a small supply that I bought years ago. If anyone knows of a source, I would appreciate the info.

RG/AR,

This material is not polyethylene, but, it is advertised as the best material for making strike indicators plus it is suppose to shed water. It does come in many colors plus mixed colors. Hopefully, it will work for you. I know I made a strike indicator from it and then dipped it in Rain-X and let it dry. When I tried it out, it worked really well.

www.flytyersdungeon.com

From Home page go to Fly Tying Materials and then go to Synthetic Hair and scan down to Congo Hair

Hope it works for you.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Widow's Web is the best material I've used. It's from Montana Fly Co. and here is one place you can get it:
    http://www.kingfisherflyshop.com/flysho ... fm?id=1141

It also makes the best parachute posts and synthetic wings. The size hank it comes in is very large. Here's an article about it:

http://www.fishingwithflies.com/Article ... owsWeb.htm

You'll notice in the article Peter says that Congo Hair might be similar. However, Widow's Web is a poly yarn. You get through doing with it what you want and it looks great. THEN you comb it out and it looks even better.
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread