Quote Originally Posted by Donald Nicolson
Here in the UK many anglers use more than one fly on both stillwaters and rivers The traditional rod for river wet fly fishing trends to a bit on the softer side and longish. The idea is for slower casting with bigger loops so that you don't tangle up your flies. Also a softer drop onto the water.
With loch-style fishing, the casting is short line but with a longish rod, only a few years ago a loch rod was 11.5ft quite commonly. Most go for about 10ft now.
As I said the soft rod is the safest way to cast a multiple fly set-up. The most common rod now-a-days on the river is a 9ft.
I recently decided to go back to the longer rod for soft hackles etc for river fishing. I bought a 10ft wt 4, which I have yet to try out. Only a few more weeks.

The above statement is only my opinion, no doubt someone will say they can use a 6.5ft rod to cast 16 flies nae bother.
I bought Davey Wotton's "Wet Fly Ways" DVD and now I want an 11 foot 5 or 6 weight just for fishing wet flies. Actually, I don't need one that long as I am guessing I am about a foot taller than he <BG>