+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bass Tidbit .4

Default Bass Tidbit .4

Looking at the physical characteristics of the bass will tell you a lot about how it hunts.

If you note the short muscular body and broad tail, you can see that bass are built for short bursts of speed. Their coloration is designed to camoflage them from above.

This translates into the bass being what is called an 'ambush predator'. They are usually going to use cover, the edge between sun and shadow, or blending into the bottom of the lake to 'hide' until their prey is within reach.

From this you can understand why 'edges' are so important to the bass, and to the bass fisherman.

Concentrating on weed lines, the edges of cover, shadow lines, any discernable 'edge', can greatly increase your success rate.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,
    I saw (or read, its been a while) where bass in a tank would nose down on the edge of a lighter colored "V" painted on the bottom of the tank. Just as if it where the edge of the brush at open water.
    On a river fishing trip many years ago, My Dad and I caught the tides right, and the bass where holding in the muddy water just where the clear water, and food, were coming out of the marshes. We caught 16 keepers and probably a half dozen others trailing beetle-spins out of the clear water into the muddy.
    I guess the point of all of this is that what we think of as a "Break Line" has to include a few more types than the obvious.

Kirk

Buddy - that's got to be one of the most up-front and often overlooked tale-tellin fact. If one applies it liberally and across the spectrum, one can see, by the location of the fish's mouth, where in the water column they mostly feed and where they can be pursued for a higher chance of success.
    this isn't locked-in-stone .... cats have been taken on the surface for example.

great note Buddy

+ Reply to Thread