+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So Long Jerry!

Default So Long Jerry!

The person who was one of the greatest influences on my decision to become a fisherman is leaving the airwaves after more than 44 years.

Jerry McKinnis and his show, The Fishin' Hole is retiring from ESPN 2 after this Saturday's final broadcast of the show that I grew up watching as a non-fishing kid.

Coming from a family that didn't hunt or fish; watching The Fishin' Hole quickly made me realize I WAS missing something in my life. I followed Jerry's advice and bought my first fishin' pole, an Eagle Claw Trailmaster, (which I still have), and as they say, the rest is history.

Thank you Jerry for the Fishin' Hole!

If it wasn't for you I might still be a GOLFER!

That really chokes me up! Jerry Mckinnis has been around forever!
    I have always LOVED the clip of his crazy dog jumping into the water after a fish!
    Jerry is THE NICEST person and that is more important than anything!
    He has been a shining light for anyone interested in the outdoors.
    I have to admit it's been tough watching some of his LAST shows that were like HOME MOVIES of the good ol days. It made me sad because I could see the writing on the wall.
    Jerry, I hope you have a wonderful time doing whatever it is you will be doing, but you know your ONE person I trust will live life to the fullest!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Last week they showed a episode filmed in 1991.
    Jerry along with coach Bobby Knight and the great Ted Williams fishing for Atlantics on the Kola Peninsula in Russia.
    McKinnis said it was his favorite episode in all of the 44 years. It was a treat to see it.
    Mr Williams was using a $40 rod and a medalist reel.
    Fancy gear is no subsitute for skill
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I've watched Jerry's show since the 1980s. One of the few TV fishing shows that was actually watchable. I wish him the best.

Very well done show. Thank you for the tribute.

I've gotta chime in on this one, in the event that Jerry actually sees this thread. Jerry has been a class act for many years, and infused his shows with a thing called "humanity". He has a self-deprecating way of teaching without being overbearing, and being entertaining in the process. His unapologetic promotion of his values is admirable in this day and age. His love for his family and the outdoors has been readily apparent over the years. Since he is actually human, he's not without fault. Anyone who can maintain a friendship with Bobby Knight has to have something inherently wrong (or right) with them.
    Fare well Jerry. We'll miss ya'!
    They're just fish, right? Right?

I'll also miss Jerry and his show. Have watched him for many years.

Retiring? What a loss. He should teach integrity to some of the others. I remember his fishing Lake Lanier, GA when it was THE hot bass lake. Toward the end of the show, he told the viewing audience that the 5 bass on film (no lunkers) were ALL they caught in 3 days of hard fishing, so folks shouldn't assume that just because a lake is hot that they will go there & do nothing but catch large bass.
    I especially enjoyed the fly fishing shows he did with Dave Whitlock & Coach Bobby Knight, although his trips into the Boundary Waters were notable as well. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any shows today, other than Barrett's, that rival Jerry's. I DO also enjoy the Larry Dahlberg shows.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Default JM

"Dedicated to Dad. He always had time to take me fishing"

It would be great if ESPN had a tribute to Jerry. It would be fitting for someone of his integrity.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread