+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Head Trout Fisherman.

Default Hard Head Trout Fisherman.

I often fish alone in freestone streams in the mountains of North GA. Now that I am in my 60's I think a lot about safety when wading the mountain streams.
    I hardly make a trip that I do not slip or fall in the stream. I am concerned about hitting my head on a rock and being ght knocked unconscious. Do any of you use or can suggest something that might provide some protection for the head. I was thinking about a light helmet like those used by bike riders but have not found one I really like.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Featherfastener

I don't know much about helmets but definitely get a wading staff. A broken leg in rough water while fishing alone could be as fatal as a head injury.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I worry about my father as well. I would suggest finding a partner - buddy system, a cell phone, wading staff.

Kyakers (the ones who go down big rough rapids) wear a helmet much like a hockey helmet. They are light, and usually bright colored. You can paint them green, OD, etc. if you want. I don't know how deep your waters are but it is said you can drown in six inches of water. You might want to consider a floatation harness, the inflatable kind. I think the buddy system is your best bet however, the kind of buddy you would like to be in a foxhole with.

Boy, I sure would start off with one I didn't like until I found one I did. And for Pete's sake,,,, GET A STAFF! Yes they are not cheap. But they are cheaper than a busted bone! They stay all folded up in a holster until you shake them out. Then they will save yer butt!

Blog Entries

To add to what Jonezee posted, don't wear a big, white hat in the woods, especially during the deer and turkey seasons. I try to make sure that I have no white exposed on me in and around the woods or any other place that a hunter or poacher(!) might be.
    The poacher issue means that there are no closed seasons for safety.

take care,
    Ed

Thanks for all the advise guys. I do use a staff but I am looking for any additional safety precautions possible. I think I probably need to stay out of the mountains unless I have someone with me!
    Thanks again.
    Featherfastener

Blog Entries

Even younger folks should heed the good advice given here , none of us are invincible.

Even if you do travel with a buddy you should carry a cell phone to summon help quickly. (third buddy ) Because Its not impossible for both of you to be in trouble at the same time.

It is also always wise to carry matches or a lighter with you while in the bush.
    Bear spray is a good idea in bear country.

Tell someone where you are going.

Barbless hooks are also a good safety factor, as are safety glasses to protect the eyes from errant casts.

Ps. You could take a tip from lowteckjoe and sit in a metal chair in the river and fish from that
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Default Boot style

Although I'm still a rookie when it comes to fly fishing I would take a second look at your boot stlye versus the terain. I am 64 and take smaller steps when the situation calls for better balance wether fishing a stream or hunting.

A wading staff is a must and you have taken care of that. Your pace is important as well as looking ahead for safer walking.

Get a different stlye boot for better traction and fit, our ears, nose and feet keep growing while everything else mostly shrinks.

Just and old geezer
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

A wading staff is handy not only in the river, ... they are also a fine tool to help us along the trails and paths in and out.

(you guys are stealing all my ideas for the coming week's articles )
    Christopher Chin

+ Reply to Thread