+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? for those that use strike indicators

Default ? for those that use strike indicators

Not looking to debate the merits of strike indicators, but am looking for a more efficient strike indicator system. Specifically want to know what people are using on tailwaters when throwing small midge larvae/pupa. I am currently using the round foam ball, but seem to think it lacks when trying to mend often and also not sure if it has the greatest sensitvity. Also somewhat of a pain to change tactics when it is threaded on the leader without dismantling the whole rig. Anybody got a set-up they like better???
    Thanks
    k3

Orvis strike putty--stays put on the leader and you control the size of the indicator

Quote Originally Posted by dmdmd
    Orvis strike putty--stays put on the leader and you control the size of the indicator
    Exactly!

My system is a little involved but it doesn't ever affect your casting and doesn't have to be removed when changing to dry flies or wets. It can even assist us vision impaired anglers who have trouble seeing our dries flies on the water, especially midges.
    I tie most of my own leaders using the George Harvey formula, after I tie a leader up I use first white then when that dries I use bright orange nail polish on each knot of a leader, choose whatever color you see best but always white for the first coat. This will give you mutiple points down the leader kind of connect the dots. Note that this also doesn't assist in depth control so if you need your indicator for that also, try another system. When you want to fish dry just cut back the tippet section and add the size tippet you need. When fishing 28 midges you may not see the fly but you get a good idea were it is and how good a drift your getting.
    If you use knotless leaders then I suggest the slip on type indicator which is nothing more than a piece of flyline with the core removed or as suggested Orvis strike putty.

Tom

K3,

I'm using a system that has caught on with a few f the guides over on the San Juan in New Mexico.

They are made from foam and turned on dremel lathe a la' Jim Hatches' dremel bugs.

I start with a 'plug' of foam, usually a bright color contrast, like stripes of black/yellow. Turn one end down into a rounded tapered 'point' (like the nosecone of a rocket).

I then thread a loop of rubber through the center hole and CA glue it into place, leaving about 1/4 to 3/16 of the loop protruding out the 'pointed' end.

These 'loop' onto the leader, and can be moved/taken off without untying anything.

The loop conection produces a right angle turn in the leader, which assists with keeping the fly(s) below the indicator. The cylindrical shape will tell you how the flies are 'drifting' (under, ahead of, or behind the indicator). They are sensitive to 'normal' takes, but wil also alert you to a 'lift' strike by laying flat on the water.

You can make them in any diameter and length yu might desire.

I used to use only yarn indicators, but find that the information that the foam ones can telegraph to be very helpful when fishing over 'finicky' fish.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

I use those Palsa foam stick-on indicators. But I take two of them, and stick them together sticky-to-sticky side. So I end up with a foam indicator shaped kinda like an 8, without a sticky part. Which then fits in the loop-to-loop connecter between the butt section and the leader. Or in an overhand loop if I need to change the position much.

Removable in three seconds. And it is sensitive enough for me. On those Juan-type situations, just set the hook if it ever does anything other than drift.

DG

I use strike indicaters a lot here. I hate the foam type ones because they cast like crap, and the putties I have tried are useless too. The only ones I like aside from a bulky dry fly are the ones tied with calf hair or hi-viz wing material, like a little dart tail. They cast well, stay in place, are easy to see, just work.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Balloon - the small water balloon variety from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They are like 150 for $3. Don't litter (although the latex eventually breaks down). Super sensitive, casts like there is no indicator, and most of the colors are extremely visible. Put as much air as you want and tie the balloon off pushing the knot up to create as big a stalk as possible. Then use the stalk to create a simple overhand loop to run the leader through. This lets you slide the balloon up and down the leader - pull on the stalk to tighten the knot if it slides too easily. There is a video on balloon indicators that I have seen. The knot enabling adjustment of the balloon on the leader is my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe
    Balloon - the small water balloon variety from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They are like 150 for $3. Don't litter (although the latex eventually breaks down). Super sensitive, casts like there is no indicator, and most of the colors are extremely visible. Put as much air as you want and tie the balloon off pushing the knot up to create as big a stalk as possible. Then use the stalk to create a simple overhand loop to run the leader through. This lets you slide the balloon up and down the leader - pull on the stalk to tighten the knot if it slides too easily. There is a video on balloon indicators that I have seen. The knot enabling adjustment of the balloon on the leader is my own.

That is interesting Shoe. I watched a guy on the river a few months back using balloondicators and the wind was putting his fly all over the place. Much like th big yarn indicators.
    I have used the putty also, nice cause it adds a little weight when casting very tiny nymphs, but hard to put on, let alone keep in one spot when cold.
    I am now sold on the styro eggs with the slit in the side so on and off is easy enough and the toothpick to hold it in place. Found some real small ones that I really like.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess
    That is interesting Shoe. I watched a guy on the river a few months back using balloondicators and the wind was putting his fly all over the place. Much like th big yarn indicators.
    I have used the putty also, nice cause it adds a little weight when casting very tiny nymphs, but hard to put on, let alone keep in one spot when cold.
    I am now sold on the styro eggs with the slit in the side so on and off is easy enough and the toothpick to hold it in place. Found some real small ones that I really like.
    Different strokes for different folks. Joni, I fished these in 20-25 mph winds yesterday [it was a calm day in WY]. I was nymphing deep, heavy, blind; not exactly San Juan style so your conditions might be different. I made the inflated balloon about as big as my thumbnail (5/8" X 1/2") so the surface area is the same as other indicators that I would use and less than the yarn. Something to consider if ya haven't tried.

+ Reply to Thread