+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soft Hackle Addicts

Default Soft Hackle Addicts

I just started Tying soft hackles and Flymphs, I would like to know ----which colour soft hackle is your best producer.
    I am doing some reading by Dave Hughes on presentation and techniques .Which technique serves you best.

Thanks

JaD
    Fish like predator.

JAd,

My favorite colors of soft hackles are Partridge and (insert your favorite color here), with the best results stemming from the use of orange, red, green floss, in that order.

Pheasant tail soft hackles also work very well for me, with a brown partridge hackle. I use a fine copper wire for the thread when wrapping the pheasant tail fibers. Wrap the fibers around the wire to form a chenille, then wrap up the hook. Saves ribbing the fly and reinforces the PT fibers.

Depending on the water I fish soft hackles upstream on a greased leader, within a few inches of the surface film. Watch for a rise or bulge where you fly is. I also fish them on a classic wet fly swing,,cast down and across. There is no missing a strike fished this method. Be sure to let the fly hang on the dangle for a few seconds. Lots of stikes then.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default Soft hackles

Ron
    Whats the smallest S_Hackles that you tie and use.Can you use a S-H as small as a Blue Quill
    John
    Fish like predator.

JAd-

What REE said as far as patterns and fishing.

I'm in the East and in order of preference use green silk, orange silk, tan dubbing, and peacock herl bodies with grouse hackle. I put a white thread underbody under the silk to keep the color of the silk "true" when wet.

You may also be interested in this thread from a while ago, with links to detailed hackling methods and really interesting techniques from Hans and Donald:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/view ... sc&start=0

Their sites are outstanding.

After reading several rave reviews from folks using the JV Hens from Conranch a sponsor of FAOL, i plan on switching over (from Grouse). Denny apparently is happy to talk on the phone (!!!) to make sure he can answer your needs for whatever you're tying.

Other recommendations for smaller sizes include starling.

I use mostly 14 and 16, and a few 18s.

Good luck.

peregrines

Don't go astream without a pattern that Jim Leisenring called a March Brown spider: brown partridge hackle; dubbed hare's mask body; thin gold tinsel ribbing. A killer.

Chuck

I tie my softies down to 18. For hackle, try the aftershaft feather of a partridge, grouse, etc. Makes a great hackle.

I also have a couple of Denny Conrad's JV Hens. Excellent soft hackcle with a very pliable stem.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Jad,

I fish them often, either alone or as a dropper of a streamer or another wet fly. I tie mine in sizes 10-14. My favorite pattern is the Partridge and Yellow (which I tie with Pearsall's silk thread) but I also like the Starling and Herl (this one I only tie in a size 14).

Alberto

Softhackles are my favorite. I will fish size 2 Gartsides down to a 20 using Starling feathers. My favorite color on the smaller is orange and on the larger, Black/Red or Brown/Olive. Love the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck441
    Don't go astream without a pattern that Jim Leisenring called a March Brown spider: brown partridge hackle; dubbed hare's mask body; thin gold tinsel ribbing. A killer.

Chuck
    One of my favourites, the old March Brown.
    In Courtney Williams Dict. of Trout Flies there is a long list of variations on the March Brown for wet flies alone.
    A great and successful favourite here is to mix the Hare's Ear with Claret Seal's fur.
    I gave a version of this a few year's ago on this very board, and a few day's later some came back saying they had a very successful day using it.

And while I'm about it, here are a few pictures.

Using yellow silk as a rib is very good, or even fluo yellow.
    None of these are difficult ties, so, no excuses, get tying.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Im not the best at tying soft hackles..

but with a little practice Im sure Ill get better...

Here is my first attempt at a Primerose and Pearl soft hackle..
    This has one of Denny's Mature hens as the hackle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/ ... midge1.jpg

+ Reply to Thread