+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bass tidbit .2

Default Bass tidbit .2

Bass are what are called 'engulf' feeders.

They capture their prey by rapidly opening their mouths and flaring their gills, creating a vacuum that pulls in both the food and a large amount of water. Once the prey is inside the mouth, the bass kills it by crushing it between two crushing plates located on the roof of the mouth and lower jaw, expelling the excess water through the gill opeings.

This should give you some insight into how to construct flies for bass and when to set the hook. It also explains why bass sometimes miss a fly, and why sometimes WE miss the bass.

It's also 'the' major difference between how a bass eats and how a trout eats.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I read someplace that when you fish for bass or crappie you will sometimes feel a "tick" on your rod, kinda like a bee bumped it. The article went on to say this was from the bait (in our case fly) hitting the back of the fish's mouth during the rapid into of water by the fish. I have experienced this feeling many times and alway set the hook at that time.

Tim

Is it fair for me to ask on this forum how a trout feeds?

Default Re: Bass tidbit .2

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders
    It also explains why bass sometimes miss a fly, and why sometimes WE miss the bass.

Buddy
    In the case of bass bugs it is the WE. They are such a visual fly that we sometimes set the hook the moment we see the boil or splash. If you can wait that extra half a beat after a top water strike you will hook more fish.

I've watched many guys I took out miss fish due to fast strikes, and heck have scolded myself more than a few time for doing it.

With respect to what Buddy said, (Hope this is contributing and not Hijacking) that tick you feel isn't always the bass inhaling the fly or lure but spitting it back out.
    Steve

Rookie - It seems to me that if you feel a tick you should sock it to em - That way you can get them coming or going

Tim

If you set the hook going,,,,,, too late. There have been studies with underwater video cameras showing bass inhaling the hook and it virtually could not be detected. A bass can take your fly or lure and the only thing you feel is a light line. Set the hook.

I came up learning to watch my line for the slightest movement. This was the only way to detect the strike. I hope this is still on the subject
    Steve

This whole 'setting the hook' thing is fascinating to me.

Not the 'when' (we 'know' objectively when it should be done) but what eveyone 'thinks' is the best time.

There is a 'time', though, when a bass has the bait in the mouth when you CAN'T set the hook.

It's when the bass 'crushes' the bait. If, for some reason, your hooksetting force arives at that pricise instant, the hook won't set.

You can 'prove' this to yourself with a simple test.

Use which ever rod weight you want.

Stretch out 20 to 30 feet of line, with leader/tippet/fly attached.

Now, you need another person. Have that person hold the hook of the fly by the bend between their thumb and forefinger, and extend their arm straight toward you. Tell them to hold tight.

Try to 'set' the hook. The results will amaze you. You'd think that the hook would pull free, but it won't.

You can't do it, even with heavy casting gear unless you go to one of those no stretch super 'braided' lines.

The flex of the rod and the stretch of the line/leader/tippet disipate the application of force.

So, if the bass has the fly 'held' between his crushing plates, the hook can't move and it won't 'set' unless it moves....

This explains some of those times when you feel the fish, set hard, have it on for a few seconds, and then it comes unbuttoned on you.

For the guys who've ever felt the distinctive 'tap-tap' while fishing with a plasic worm or jig, the first 'tap' is the fish engulfing the lure, the second is the fish 'crushing' it.

As far as when to 'set' the hook on a bass. Do it as soon as you feel the fish. Don't 'hurry', but don't 'wait' either. Faster is better than slower.

If you are fishing a lure or fly that the fish will hold (bass are agressive, they intended to eat it, and absent a serious reason why they shouldn't they will swallow it) setting quickly reduces deep hooking and killing fish.

If the fish isn't likely to hold your fly for some reason, then there is never going to be a better time than 'right away' to hook it. The WHOLE thing is in the bass' mouth the fist time it 'touches' it. It will never be 'more inside' the fish, but it can be expelled. All waiting does is give the fish longer to get rid of your fly.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Buddy,
    Interesting posting, thanks. I remember an article years ago where some new lures were being tested, a scuba diver with camera was observing the bass behavior. After several minutes, the diver surfaced and yelled to the fisherman,,,,why are you not setting the hook,,,,you had a half dozen bass inhale and spit out the lure? The fisherman replied that he never felt the fish.

Many theories suggest that we only detect a very small percentage of actual bites by fish.

Regards,
    FK

FK, that is correct. If my memory serves me correctly, the guys holding the rods were well known pros. They were somewhat flabbergasted when they saw the footage. I do remember the interview portion of that as it was televised. I just wish I could remember who the pros were.
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread