+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leader/ Tippet

Default Leader/ Tippet

What is the strongest leader and tippet that I can put on a 6wt rod?

Also can someone tell me the proper way of putting on fly floatant? After I apply it the fly usually sinks with the next cast.

Thanks

There is no size limit to the size of tippet material that you can use on a 6wgt. I have seen guys use 80 lb bit tippet in saltwater while using a 6wgt. So there is no true limit.
    As for the floatant you are using it sounds to me like you have the old paste type? It is sticky and will sink your flies real fast if you use to much. Try using just a little bit at a time.
    I would look into buy a better product such as Loon, Gink, Aquel or the old tried and true Mucilin.
    I use, and have for many years, a product called Albolene Unscented hand cleaner. You can get it in the drug store and a jar sells for about 7 bucks and will last you a long time. Several season for sure. Just take some and put it into a smaller container and you are set to go. Just put a little on your fly and you are ready to go and this stuff will not gunk up your fly either. Ron

PhilDawg, you should let the hook size of the fly you are using influence the tippet size rather than the rod weight. A simple formula will help guide you in this: divide the hook size by 3 and the result will be a good X size tippet to use. You can go up or down from there but it will give you an idea of what to use. The leader should not be a smaller X (higher number) size than the tippet, nor should it be much larger.

Some flies will not float well in fast water. Also, drag on the fly can sink it. Use floatant sparingly and apply it to the fly before it gets wet. After application the fly should not appear "gunked up." Sometimes a few false casts is all you need to dry out and fluff up a fly.

------------------
    Joe

[This message has been edited by flyfisherjoe (edited 31 May 2005).]

[This message has been edited by flyfisherjoe (edited 01 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread