+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wet fly sizes

Default wet fly sizes

I normally fish nymphs in sizes 14, 16, 18 & 20. I noticed wet flies seemed to be tied in larger sizes from 8 to 12. Should I try to match the smaller sizes or will they work for the same fish that take those smaller flies?

If it's legal use droppers in all the different sizes. The fish will let you know what they want.
    Your hooks sharp????

Personally, I have found that sizes 12 and 14 seem to work the best for wet flies.

Blog Entries

I usually will nymph 14 & 16's and drop an 18 or 20 off of that...the spiders I've been tying are on a size 16 wet hook short shank...so it's got the length of an 18...I probably could use a 14 wet but the fish seem to like the 16's....so there really hasn't been a need to go larger

Tie up a few in different sizes and give them a try....you can tie them on hooks you currently have and if need be drop it behind something or add a split or 2.
    Sometimes a crowd can be the loneliest place

Default wet fly sizes

Thanks, Guys! The fish must have been less picky 50 years ago. It seems all the wet flies were in large sizes. I'm going to give it a go. I fished through a mild December here in Central PA,--right up to the 30th. The first week in January winter hit here very hard and I haven't been out since. I am suffering from some severe withdrawals.

P.S. Where do you find hackle for 16, 18 and 20 size hooks? My buddy and I are going to dye some hen.

for hackling smaller wets and soft hackles you may want to check out the JV Hens at Conranch (a sponsor of this site).

I haven't used them yet but plan to. Folks here on FAOL rave about the service and quality of Denny's products, and the JV Hens were developed for hackling smaller size wets as an alternative to grouse with better stems and smaller barbs. You also get a skin with cape saddle and other bits too. If you're going in with your buddies a couple in assorted colors might be a way to go. From what others have said he and his daughter are happy to take phone calls and answer questions to make sure it'll work with your needs.

here's his url: www.conranch.com

Good luck.

peregrines

Wet flies primarily represent emerging or drowned insects. So if you are imitating a #16 sulfur or #18 BWO I think you should make a wet fly that size. The [url=http://home.att.net/~ferenc/Tie-rs22.htm:2b286]RS2[/url:2b286] is a wet fly imitating emergers so can be any size. Think BUG, not Fly Tying Catalogue.

+ Reply to Thread