+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A fly for winter bluegill fishing???

Default A fly for winter bluegill fishing???

Just thought I would throw this out for anyone that might be interested:

Two weeks ago I just had to get out on the river and fly fish. The daytime temperature around 43 degrees and the water temperature was 44 degrees. I was fishing a section of river that was probably no wider than 35 feet with a fast water chute down the center of it. The fast water started out no deeper than 1 foot and gradually got deeper until it dumped into a hole about 4 foot deep. This spot has always been a pretty good spot for trout and the eddy water on both sides of the fast water would always hold some good bluegill fishing during the summer. I tied on one of Peter Fraily's "mini-jigs" so it would get down in the fast water and just bump along the bottom. I did catch 17 trout on it, but, I also caught one crappie and 5 bluegill on it! This may be a fly you all need to try during the cold water season for your bluegill in the deeper ponds, lakes and rivers. I know I will be using it as the weather starts to warm up to catch myself some bluegill. You can see the fly and the tying instuctions at: www.fishingwithflies.com

Go to his "favorite flies" section and "click" on "mini-jigs"
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I hate to say I bought the "Bream Killer" at Wally World and it works great.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

I have tied some bream killers 2 summers ago and they worked great on big bluegills and bass. mathcarver

My go-to winter bluegill/crappie fly is the Carter's Sculpin, tied in basic balck for BG and bright colors for crappie. If they're taking anything at all in cool/cold weather, I catch them on this pattern.

Jim Smith

Jim,
    Pattern/Tying instructions? Sounds interesting. I'm here in Jefferson,Ga. Noy all that far away.
    Thanks,
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread