+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: A Favorite Smallie River

Has anyone here fished Devil's River lately?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

I've never fished it, but I read a couple of articles about it recently. I don't remember whether or not they were online, but I'll see what I can dig up.

Thanks Bill...I'd be curious to know if one can actually get there without expiring out in the middle of the Sonora Desert... )

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Guys - I'm going in April as a guest of the Nature Conservancy of Texas. Have a friend that works for the USGS, otherwise tough without donating money to the Nature Conservancy. They own about 40,000 acres on the river. There is also access at Dolan Falls State Park, they have public access of about a mile of the river. You only need about 200 yards of river to fish all day, anyway. On the subject of kayaks; a kayak trip needs to be a two or three day trip, sleeping on rocks (quit doing that about 20 years ago). A couple of guides operate on the river, and they have private access. But the trip is pretty tough, regardless. Fishing pressure? The state park in 2005 had only 25 visitors for the first quarter of the year!!

Thanks Johnsonr, that tells me all I need to know. Now all I need to do is make my way to Tejas and fish that gem. Is the fishing good and is it just smallmouth bass please?

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by Eich
    Not as good as it used to be, but still a terrific Smallie river the Susquehanna here in Pennsylvania.
    I'm w/ ya Eich. We used to have great days on there growing up. I've caught over 100 a day there way back...

Montana - Smallmouth and Largemouth primarily. Largemouth up to 6-7 lbs. Two of our guys from our flyfishing club went last September, and caught about 50/50. Also lots of sunfish (bluegill, etc.). Finally, one more species that you guys may not have seen, the Rio Grande Perch. This is a cichlid (relative of a Tilapia) that grows to about 2 lbs. Real fighter, with a mouth full of teeth (don't lip him!) Here is a link to a picture:

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cf ... &?AID=1255

(You may have to copy and paste the link)

Thank you johnsonr, the cichlid is new to me but then I haven't fished in those longitudes ever so it would all be new to me. Sounds like I need to get a crew together and head out there one day. Any season closures or the like on that beauty? Any links to pics of terrain and the actual water? Geez, I'll have you giving away the farm next !

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Montana - No closed seasons on any fishing in Texas. As far as photos,you can Google "Devil's River" or "Dolan Falls" and find lots of info. The best perspective on the river, Dolan Falls, and the landscape is in this Google Video:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 4133811927

The water just below the falls is 15-20 feet deep, and you can routinely see all the way to the bottom. The fish are pretty spooky because of the clear water, but don't see any fishing pressure to speak of. To give you some perspective, Dolan Falls is a 12 foot drop. In this river, when the water looks a foot deep, it is usually 3-4 feet!

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default Smallies

In N.E. Ga. and S.E. Tn, it's no contest. In Ga., the Tocoaa River from the Blue Ridge Lake Spillway, on down. Most of us float it in a Yak or canoe. Get on Ga. 515N in Ellijay, Ga. Go N. almost to the Tn. border to Blue Ridge, Ga, and turn rt. at the KFC. Follow the signs to the dam.

If your into Big Water smallies, Lake Lanier, just a bit East of Atlanta is a good place, but heavily used.

In Tn., Lake Ocoee has great smallies, as well as walleye. Take US 60E from Cleveland, Tn. You'll find the lake.

One of my favorite float trips in Tn. is down the Hiawasse River. It's a large river and you can take up to several days going down it if you like. I believe it's where I have caught the largest, and most smallmouth bass in my life. It's right off of US 411 just N. of Delano, Tn.

Good Luck,

+ Reply to Thread