+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you connect fly line to leader without tying a knot?

Default How do you connect fly line to leader without tying a knot?

Thing is, I tend to use my 6 wt fly rod for both trout fishing as well as steelhead. I use either 3x or 6x leader and I hate alternative between leaders by cutting and retying a nail knot. Could I connect the two with a loop in loop knot? If so, do I use a double surgeon's loop? I tied it once before, but I don't know exactly how strong this knot is, but I like how I can change leaders very quickly without actually tying a knot. If I do tie a loop in loop knot, will the casting be affected at all? is there any disadvantages to the loop in loop knot?

also, I see these devices for connecting the fly line to the leader, how are those?

I have begun using the Perfection Loop. It allows me to quickly change leaders.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Default leader loops

Get a leader loop for the end of your line, then all the leaders that come with loops in the end of them are eligible for loop to loop.

Nail knot a 24" or so section of heavy butt material to your fly line and tie a Perfection Loop in the end. Do the same to your leaders and then loop-to-loop.

You'll hear all kinds of pro and con on the connection and its effect on everything from casting to global warming but the bottom line is if you want fast leader swaps; it is the best choice IMHO.

I've been doing it for years with no ill effects.

If the leader (preferably a furled one) has a loop at the butt end use the castwell knot!!
    Here we go again

Double surgeons loop is fine for each leader end. 'Whip' a loop in the end of the fly line.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    Nail knot a 24" or so section of heavy butt material to your fly line and tie a Perfection Loop in the end. Do the same to your leaders and then loop-to-loop.

You'll hear all kinds of pro and con on the connection and its effect on everything from casting to global warming but the bottom line is if you want fast leader swaps; it is the best choice IMHO.

I've been doing it for years with no ill effects.
    Dear fishinnstudyin,

I second Bamboozle's advice, though I will admit that I keep my permanent butt section shorter than 24".

If you don't have "butt material" laying around just use the butt section of an old leader that you have already attached to your flyline and put a loop in it.

I think I nail knotted exactly one leader to a fly line in my lifetime. After that I made a loop in that leader and have used loop to loop ever since.

If you are concerned about the nail knot passing through your guides Loon Outdoor's UV Knot Sense is great stuff for coating knots.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

ah nuts. i dont have any butt material. makes me wish I didn't throw away my old leader so quickly. hmm... about what size is the butt leader ? could I use like 17 or 30 lb monofilament line? If not, could I try 80 lb Powerpro? does it have to be old leader butt?

oh. also, I have old fly line. could i cut a 15 inch strip of that as well? I used to have the Bass Pro White River orange fly line and replaced it with WF6F Mastery Trout line.. could i use the old fly line and nail knot it to the new fly line and put a loop on it? or 12 lb mono? 17 lb mono? 30 lb mono or even 80 lb powerpro braid. those are my sizes of other line I have. I'm curious on what size diameter 5x Fly line is at the butt end of it

fishinnstudyin:

It's the diameter that's most important. The butt section of many leaders is often between .019 - .024. For a 6wt I'd go with between .019 - .022 and I'd probably make it 12" long or less.

Monofilament fishing line in the 17lb - 20-lb might be OK too, I'm just not positive about the diameters.

Note: I just checked some 17lb Suffix I bought for one of my baitcasters and it is .016 so maybe you want 20lb test.

+ Reply to Thread