I've never used a wading staff. I see many posts here about em and get the feeling like there are a lot of people who wouldn't be caught without one. I certainly see some of the advantages to having one, but I'm not completely sold on one yet.

I don't feel like I've ever really needed one. I won't lie, I've gotten wet when I didn't want to and had to make sure no one was watching my circus act (be honest, who hasn't) but I haven't ever felt the need to have a staff. Most times, if the river is too strong and/or deep to cross in one spot, I'll find somewhere else that isn't as treacherous, and wade there. For someone who has to scrap for every leader and strike indicator he buys (hey, I'm a newly-wed college student with one kid and one on the way)is it justifiable to buy one? Also, I have a hard enough time mending long casts and keeping my line from grabbing every little thing, do I really want something else hanging down my back to tangle me up? Are there any disadvantages that YOU have noticed with yours?