It was a good day in Boise on the southfork this Saturday, the sun was shinning and the weather warmed up great!!! There were tons of Midges on the water.

I saw some big trout bounding out of the water after bugs on the surface in the slack water, at least I thought that at the time, I figured that midges were pooling together in a nice eddie and the big fish were on them. I also saw a goofy flying big bug, but thought to myself, "Must be a Moth.".

I saw the same thing in a different hole as well with slower and slack water.

I could not interest the fish in my midge immitations.

After catching two 18"+ fish on a (Squirl Zonker I tied myself) streamer and one 20" on a little 18 pheasant tail, I was heading to the car when I reached up and caught one of those goofy flying bugs.

It was an October Caddis!!!!!!
I could just kick myself.

The fish must have been chasing the emerging Caddis!! I can not think of another reason for such a big fish to be jumping so high out of the water, when the water was actually pretty cold. The first two fish I caught early morning on the streamer were almost lethargic.

Has anyone seen October Caddis hatch in February?

It was a good day, I caught three rainbows ranging in size from 18" to 20", and a 16" whitefish.

I guess I can't complain.

One side note, I turned over a rock to look at the bugs and found a NZ Mudsnail. That really stinks