+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Mara-Blonde was designed for perch

Default The Mara-Blonde was designed for perch

Here's a great fly that was designed for perch, but it works really well on crappie and trout, too. A Swedish pattern, it's easy to tie and works wonderfully if you use a shorter shanked hook. An article is in progress, but you'll get the ghist of it from this link
    http://www.flyfishohio.com/Mara-Bloonde.htm

Tight lines;

Joe C.

Default Blonde Series

Good one, Joe. The Brooks Blonde series bucktail patterns have been used in saltwater for a long time now. Great idea using the marabou for more action in the pattern. Should be a great fly in freshwater also. I have a question. Could a Stinger hook be used for this pattern? The Mustad hook style shown looks an awful lot like a Stinger hook except for the upturned eye. Thanks for your reply, Joe.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Wow, thanks for the link. What a great article. I may just have to add another essential fly to my repertoire.
    Leave No Trace

I have a very in-depth article on the history and influence of the Blonde series on the FFO site associated with this pattern. Just look for the article "A Party of Blondes" and you'll find something approaching 5000 words that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about Blondes, including an image of each of the 17 named variations.

The stinger hook isn't goind to work because of size. The hook I'm using is a Mustad drop shot or beak style hook. In size 2 to size 6 (they run small compared to normal hooks) they are perfect. These hooks are available in the soft plastics/spinning gear section of your local emporium.

Joe C.

+ Reply to Thread